Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bye Bye Halloween Birdie


And a Happy Sexist Halloween to you too, from Popular Mechanics in 1957!

If you are a little boy, you can be a cowboy with a horse and a gun. The horse looks like the top of a boudoir vanity table  with a broom and a horse's head stuck at either end, but never mind. At least you aren't a girl.

Because if you are a girl you are going be - a bird stuck in a "gilded" cage! You can wear a scratchy, itchy, ugly bird head, but the rest of you is all party dress and mary janes. What kind of bird is that supposed to be?

And if that wasn't humiliating enough, you also get to carry your own personal prison cell around with you all night.

Also, you won't be able to eat your jelly bean "bird seeds." Not with that big bird head on. But, as the charming gentlemen at Popular Mechanics point out, at least the other guests can enjoy them.

Great. You're stuck in a cage, wearing a ridiculous hot uncomfortable bird head, and all you can do is watch all the other kids scarf down your candy.

Aren't you glad you're a girl?

The big version is here, if you want to see all the annoying text, and how to make that cage out of curtain rings, dowels and a wash basin.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Costumes are still totally sexist! Little boys get to be super heroes, villains, cartoon characters, etc....

And little girls are supposed to all be either princesses or prostitutes, apparently.

I think this is a sinister plot. By a man somewhere. "No creative costumes for girls! They can be a princess until they grow boobs, and then it's all about how to put those boobs on display."

This year we told the kids they have to make their own! With our help, of course, if they want it.

Me-Me King said...

These costume ideas are very clever. I'm thinking, I can use my table cloth and go as a cowgirl this year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lidian said...

Wendy - You are absolutely right. The girls' costumes are generally horrifying and - well, I could give you a pageful of what I think but you can probably guess.

Me-Me - See, those tablecloths can come in handy in between meals too!

Tori Lennox said...

Did these people not know that "birds in gilded cages" in the Old West were prostitutes??? I'd go with the cowboy costume and inform everyone I was Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley and they'd best be careful or I'll shoot them. *g*

Lidian said...

Tori - I don't think they knew that. I would have gone for the other costume too!

DD said...

Wow, I love viewing these retro images. So much is said about the culture at the time, yes...
Enjoying your blogs very much!

http://lieuxabandonnes.blogspot.com/

Lidian said...

DD - Thanks! You have a wonderful blog and I am so gad to have discovered it.

Herstoryan said...

I love your blog! Somehow I missed this post. I sure hope no one actually made that thing. Poor girl! Thanks for posting! :)