Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fashion For Teen Pixies, 1968

This is from a funny little magazine called The Workbasket (September, 1968).I found a couple of these magazines last summer on vacation, and - well, one of them has several very silly fruitcake ads that I will share with you in December.

But for now - there are silly knitting patterns, like this one.

I was almost six in September 1968 and I wore some pretty silly things (hello, droopy knee socks and thick hair ribbons!) - but even I would not have left the house wearing this. That a teenager would willingly wear this is hard to believe.

Though I suppose you could cut off the pink bobbles on the way to school. Don't forget to put your school scissors in your knapsack, kids!

If you'd like the directions for this, the big image is over here on my Flickr.

10 comments:

PJ said...

lol, the cheesy look on her face is priceless! have a great day...hugz!

Lidian said...

PJ - Yeah that's a priceless look! Hope you have a great day too, thanks for visiting :)

Grace said...

I'm here at 3:48 PM - no picture!

Lidian said...

Grace - I'm here now at 4:19 and I am seeing the picture just fine - ???
Very mysterious!

Lidian said...

Grace - Thank you, by the way - I saw what you were seeing and I hope I have fixed it! I am still trying to adjust to the new post editor at Blogger - I like it but I probably did something weird :)

Grace said...

I keep using then not using the new editor - I think the old one is better but in both cases "preview" is not a true depiction. And then is no spell check in the new editor, at least I could never find one..poo!

I can see the pic now - love the hair-do

Lidian said...

Grace - I do like how you can move the images around easily with the new editor, though. And I'm glad you could see her - that IS quite a flippy little do she has going on :)

Auntie E said...

I remember those. My mom made me a set.

Lidian said...

Auntie E - My mom used to make me hats and mitts a little like this, minus the tasselly things :)

Marcheline said...

Dude - have you ever looked at modern knitting and crocheting magazines? THEY HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY LESS RIDICULOUS!

They're still trying to think up new things to cover with yarn... with patterns as silly and pointless as the ones in the good old days!

Embrace your dorkfulness, knitters, or move along to the rack of tattoo magazines!