Friday, October 16, 2009

A Likely Story!

Imagine this: you've just moved to a new neighborhood and you don't know anybody and - gosh, they're having a big party next door with lights and Santa Claus hats and balloons and - gee, Mom, they even probably have cake and stuff  over there!

If only if only if only you were invited! But you don't even know who those people are and they don't know you from - well, a hole in the wall. And you don't see many holes jumping off their walls and going out at night, do you?

Then Mom reminds you of your social trump card: that harmonica of yours! Why, you've been taking lessons since - oh, about two weeks ago. And Mom and Dad think you are the swellest of the swell.

Boy, they say, you sound just like a real Professional Harmonica Player. No, really. There really probably are some. And you could definitely be a Professional Harmonica Player when you grow up! And you'd play at Carnegie Hall and everyone would applaud and -

But what was that noise? Why, as soon as you start playing your best piece -  a swinging version of "Three Blind Mice" -  guess who comes ding-donging at the door? Just the whole darn party, that's all! And they will beg your mom to let you go over there too. Oh please, they will cry, please tell Billy to bring his harmonica!

And boy oh boy, you'd go over and everyone would crowd around you while you tootle out songs. And forever after you'd be the most popular boy in the history of anywhere! Plus everyone else will want a harmonica, too. In fact, they'll want to form a harmonica band! Bet you might not be quite so popular with their parents, but never mind.

Really. It could totally happen. Keep on playing for Mom and Dad and see if someone doesn't come pounding on the door to ask you to go somewhere!

[Many thanks to newhousedesign at Flickr for this gem, which looks like 1930s-40s vintage.]

11 comments:

heidi said...

you know - we're thinking of moving. i'll put harmonicas at the top of the list, way above boxes & packing tape. god bless the mouth harp!

vanilla said...

Yes,indeed. Someone is very likely to 'ask you to go somewhere.'

Love the laughs.

Beth (Margie and Edna's Basement) said...

Golly gee whiz, I think a harmonica band sounds...like a painful assault on the ears.

I love the retro earnestness of this ad, though. It's awfully sweet in its insistence that all you need to make new friends is a harmonica and a free lesson book.

GoRetroGirl said...

And if Billy had worn one of those nifty flashing bow ties from previous ads AND brought his harmonica, imagine how much fun everyone would've had! So much it's enough to make your head explode!

JD at I Do Things said...

Oh, shoot. I've always wanted to learn how to play the harmonica, but this ad or whatever it is, makes it looks stupid. Thanks a LOT, Billy!

Tori Lennox said...

Gosh, I had a harmonica when I was a kid, but I sure never got invited to any parties because of it. Then again, I didn't have M. Hohner's Harmonica Instruction Book either.

Lidian said...

heidi - Well, you know, it will help a lot when you're settling in!

vanilla - I always hope that people can come visit and have a good time :)

Beth - It is sweet, in that straight-faced 1930s way. I like that about it too, I must say.

GoRetroGirl - He could probably have run for Mayor if he's only thought to wear that tie.

JD - But you could have such amazing times playing! Really!

Tori - I had two harmonicas. I don't know why two, but I did. And I can assure you that they sat in my room and watched me read books, NOT go to parties ;)

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Billy and his harmonica pep up the party?

In what alternate universe?

Lidian said...

Tracy - That would be on Planet Billy.

Wendy said...

I keep thinking, "Surely. Surely this was lame even in 1935. I refuse to believe people were really this gullible, collectively, at any point in history."

Then again, maybe we really were (and still are). I am still getting emails that Snopes debunked years ago.

Lidian said...

Wendy - I hope that some people found this funny in 1935. I'm sure some of them did!