Thursday, October 29, 2009

No One Will Ever Suspect!


Not to worry, it isn't really National Use-Up-Your-Leftovers-in-a-Jell-O-Salad Week. And even if it was, you can opt out of this multiple-spoon disaster.  

Bet you have a dish of leftover peas or beans or carrots in the refrigerator right now...too little to serve everyone, and too much to throw away!

Well, I suppose there's enough for just one person. Why can't one person have them.  Or maybe I will just throw them out. Those peas are tired and so am I! As for the slice of olive, I think we can let go of that, too. 

Why not use them beautifully tonight in a tempting Jell-O salad. It'll taste so good, no one will ever suspect!

Oh, I think they might suspect, you know? Jell-O is see-through. And unless everyone totally forgot what they ate last night, that horror of a Jell-O mold will bring it back to them. Vividly.

Riddle answers from the last post:

What begins with a P, ends with an E and has a thousand letters in it? A Post Office. (The Bewildered Brit got this one.)
What does a cat have that no other animal has? Kittens. ( Jen at The Transmogrifier's Tale got this one - and thank you both for playing!)

16 comments:

P.L. Frederick said...

For added crunch, I admire the recipe's use of plastic spoons. One so hates to throw out slightly used picnic items.

Jello is handy. I also use it for storing old receipts and winter wools.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Me-Me King said...

Oh, lord. I'm afraid with the leftovers I have in my frig, this would be a foul disaster.

Sandee said...

Yuk! I think I'll stick with the tried and true icebox soup that has taken care of leftovers for years.

Have a terrific day. :)

Lidian said...

Me-me - I was thinking the same thing, about my fridge.

P.L. - Yes, the spoons do look nice and crunchy.

Sandee - Soup is a way better idea. Only it does not require Jell-O, so the jell-O people cannot condone it.

Jen said...

Oops! Bead Designer isn't my blog, it's my friend Judith's. It was a short term blog for a special project of hers.

The Transmogrifier's Tale is my blog.

Jen said...

I've never understood the appeal of Jell-o salads. Why mess up the lovely, smooth, gelly texture of the Jell-o by adding chunks?

I realize there are parts of the U.S. where my opinion would be considered heresy. :)

Tori Lennox said...

Just looking at that picture makes me a tad ill. I don't think I'll be making THAT Jell-O mold! (Mold may be the key ingredient....)

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

Yay me! :)

This post, however, has completely put me off eating salad again. Ever. ;(

Lidian said...

Jen - I'm so sorry! I just fixed that.

Tori - It is not quite the pleasure that the Jell-O people hoped for, I think.

Richard - It's put me off salad AND Jell-O.

TheSnackHound said...

Oh my. Isn't there a rule against how many colors can be in one jello dessert? Isn't the limit two or three?

Lidian said...

The SnackHound - I don't think there is a limit, according to the Jell-O folks - consider the broken-glass/stained-glass cake, or those layered things with stuff in them - there ought to be a limit, yes, you are right.

Bill said...

Free association: the moment I saw the green jello mold, I thought of Carmen Miranda.

Jude said...

That's just gross and so wrong on so many levels, fruit okay and I even tried carrots before in lime jello, but just gross to anything else.

David DeWall said...

The jello salad looks tempting,and I do miss having it. Hard to find it on the edge of a jungle in the Philippines. My Mom, God Bless Her, made some great Jello Fruit Cocktail stuff for Thanksgiving. Squirt some whipped cream on it, yum! Thanks for bring back some good memories.

Lin said...

ACk! OMG--how awful!!!

Marcheline said...

Sorry, but the answer to the second riddle is... WRONG-O!

Rabbits' babies are also called kittens.

Do I get the Smug, Self-Satisfied Prize of the Week?