Friday, October 23, 2009

Not Just Delicious Meals


Greetings from the Jordan Inn in Monetta, South Carolina! According to Wikipedia, Monetta had a population of 220 according to the 2000 census. The Inn was on Highway 1, west of Monetta, and was run by John Jordan in the 1930s. According to a quick internet search, the postcard appears to date from 1939.

This looks like it was a lovely place to stay, but my favorite part of this old postcard is the charmingly boastful text on the back: the Jordan Inn not only has "Delicious Meals" but also has "Heat" and "Parking." There is something quite charming about Heat and Parking being considered exciting attractions. As far as I could tell, the Inn no longer exists (at least, not as an inn) - which is too bad.

Apologies for the blurry text image - it was the best my scanner could manage (this one is from my collection, so my scanner was pressed into service).

4 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Paying for the heat and delicious meals is probably what put them out of business. Those are both expensive!

Hallmans2 said...

What a feat!!! We live in the Old Jordan Inn and it has a lot of beautiful things that if funds were there could be a beautiful place. Pocket doors, etc. A lot of lead paint, windows that welcome the wind.... but when I see this place, I think of the Titanic. What it must have been in it's day.....

Lidian said...

Hallmans2 - What a lovely place to live! :) Thanks for commenting and visiting!

tigerfan said...

My grandmother grew up in the Jordan Inn, my father was born there and I have heard many, many stories about the delicious meals that were served. I bought a copy of the postcard last year and enjoy driving past now and then when we visit our pond near Ridge Spring. We hate to see it in disrepair, but know it must cost a fortune to keep up.