Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ode On A Can Of Old Dutch Cleanser

It's contest time! Old Dutch Cleanser had a contest in 1942 in which one had to complete a little poem in order to win lots of very green money (as you can see, it will make you simper when you hold it close to your face).

OK, so here's what we have to do - we will be filling in the last line of this immortal verse:

"I Like Old Dutch Cleanser"
Said A Housewife named Knight
"It's so safe and so fast

...Though my hands look a fright
...And the sink looks all right
...I'll be done by midnight
...Though the difference is slight
...She's just being polite
...It cleans better than Sprite
...And it doesn't ignite!

There are probably some Knight jokes in there, possibly about the Round Table, but I don't think I can find them right now. I was thinking about Old Dutch Cleanser anyway because I was writing about it over on The Doubletake yesterday - when you win the contest, you'll be so grateful to that Old Dutch Cleanser can, you may want to make it a little sweater. If you do, the pattern is over there.

[From Life, March 30, 1942]

7 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

"... that my husband thinks I'm bright."

sassafrasjunction said...

That woman looks like she just mentally located her vibrator.

Amanda said...

What the heck? This is the best contest these guys could come up with? I expect more from my Old Dutch Cleanser! Apparently they (and the woman in the ad) have taken too much Old Dutch Cleanser to the brain.

Frogs in my formula said...

LOL @ you and sassafrasjunction! That woman is very, very creepy.

Kath Lockett said...

The expression on her face makes me wonder if some of the Old Dutch found a spot that most other cleaners don't normally reach.....

Lidian said...

Tori - Excellent!

sassafrasjunction - That Old Dutch is really something!

Amanda - Yup, this is the best they could come up with! lol

Frogs in my Formula - She really is!

Kath - If that's true, I really do not want to know. And she looks like she wants to tell us!

Needless To Say said...

"my sink's a toothy white"