Monday, October 5, 2009

Something Sunny in the Beer

Drink Schlitz all winter. Oh, go on. You want to be super-happy, just like you were in the summer when you were running through the surf in a teeny bathing suit, right?

Because Schlitz, you see, has lots and lots of healthy Vitamin D. Bet you didn't know that! And it has to be Schlitz. Not just any old beer.

So get yourself all dolled up in your Sunday clothes and stroll down to the liquor store for some wholesome, vitamin-packed brewski.

Of course, you could just go out in the sun sometimes. Because probably you are not living up near the North Pole, where the sun disappears for six months. If you were there, I would understand that you might need to get your Vitamin D from another source. And beer might be just the sort of thing you'd be thinking about if it was nighttime all day long for months and months.

When Santa Claus sees this ad, he's going to order a few cases of Schlitz right away. He needs all the delicious vitamins he can get. Soon it will be his busy time of the year and once he hits the road it'll be strictly cookies and milk.

Oh, but wait - milk has vitamin D in it too! Shhh...don't tell the happy swimsuit couple up there. Or Santa. They don't really want to know.

Ad from American Magazine (December 1936), courtesy of Modern Mechanix.

******

Thank you so much to PJ at PJ's Prose for honoring all three of my blogs as her Site of the Week! PJ has a gorgeous blog that I always like visiting, so please drop by there and enjoy it, too.

And many thanks also to my friend Georgina at Dad's Second Whatever (which is just as fab as her other blog, Olive Juice) for the Your Blog Is Fabulous award!

13 comments:

Georgina said...

You have two other blogs!? Guess where I am off to now? - G

PS. I hear ya on the awards thing. (I sometimes have trouble following all the rules too. Just wanted to share you with my peeps!)

Lidian said...

Georgina - I am not sure what to do with Doubletake, really. But I am glad to have it as more of a retro catch-all for now. Virtual Dime Museum was my first blog and then KR was a spin-off, I guess. Thanks for visiting them! :)

PJ said...

lol, schlitz! that was the first beer that i ever tasted. i snuck it when my dad wasn't looking...thanks for the time warp! have a wonderful day...hugz!

and thank you for the linky love. :)

Staci said...

If they drink beer all winter, they're going to have a nice beer belly and a really sunny liver to go along with those swimsuits.

Grace said...

My father delivered beer, Knickerbocker to be exact. And back in the 40's and 50's people didn't drink beer all year round. In the winter sometimes he would only work 2 days a week (they got paid by the day) and in the summer he worked 5 and 6 days a week. Like the industrious ant he would put away the added earnings to cover the winter months of less work. I guess this ad was trying to get people to think of beer as a winter beverage as well as a summer one.

Lidian said...

PJ - No no, thank YOU! :) My first beer was Tuborg - I hated it then and I hate beer now. But I do love this ad.

Staci - That they are! They won't fit into those suits next year for sure, lol.

Grace - You're right - beer just isn't a winter beverage!

Tori Lennox said...

That's gotta be one of the wackiest things I've ever heard! LOL!

Lidian said...

Tori - It really is. There's something about a lot of 30s ads that is especially loopy, I don't know why, sort of unexpected leaps of non-logic (I have one, haven't written about it yet, that claims that oatmeal solves all childcare problems)

Janna said...

Schlitz prevents rickets!

Try saying THAT ten times fast.

Especially after drinking ten cans of Schlitz.

Lidian said...

Janna - I can't even say it after a cup of coffee! However, for some reason I can say "Peter Piper" etc, pickled peppers et al. No idea why or how. It must be the exception that proves the rule.

GoRetroGirl said...

Hmmm...so this is a great way to get people to fight the vitamin D deficiency trend that is so much in the news!

Lidian said...

GoRetroGirl - Yes, I think this may catch on.

Jamie said...

Definitely the first time I've ever seen the vitamin content of beer touted...