Thursday, October 22, 2009

Square Brown Cup Not Included

Of course if he is stressed out and under pressure, you know who's got to get in there fast as a bunny and fix things - right?

Yes, ladies, that is correct. Please add this to your to-do list.

It shows in his eyes, the hunch of his shoulders, the way he picks at his food.

Because "a wife can always tell" when a guy is "Under Pressure."  Oh look - quotation marks. You know it's time to be suspicious when you see those in an ad. Maybe it isn't work that's bugging this guy. Maybe he's also a werewolf. Maybe he's been moonlighting a lot. Maybe  - oh, just maybe - he just drinks too much coffee. Mr. Caffein Nerves knows all about this sort of thing.*

Or it could be a combination of things. Maybe he's a werewolf who drinks twelve cups of coffee a day with a wildebeest for a boss and he's also seeing the cheetah (hah!) in the typing pool on the side. Oh, he's stressed out all right. Poor thing. 

But have you given any thought to his hot mealtime drink? Gee, you know what, I hadn't. I thought he could decide about that by himself. Oh, silly me. So help him out with tea!  Come on sister, move it! Brew that tea! And when you have a moment, you ought to pick the peas out of the mixed vegetables for him, too. I mean, have you given any thought to his mixed vegetable needs? He really gets upset about those peas. You know that. 

Anyway, you are supposed to give him tea at every meal for seven days and see if that makes him less stressed out. Serve it in big cups and little mugs and even in square brown cups. You'd better run out to the store right now and get some if you don't have any square brown cups.

And please - give more thought to his chinaware needs from now on. It'll be on your conscience otherwise.

[This is from Life magazine, November 13, 1950 and the full-size version is here.]


* I know, I know! I can't believe I haven't got all my old posts over here yet, either...Speaking of to-do lists.

16 comments:

vanilla said...

You saw the "wildebeest" boss and the dalliance with the "cheetah" in his eyes? You are good.

heidi said...

I subscribe to the fact that "a wife can always roll her eyes..." no tea from me!

The Ebon Swan said...

Good lord, from the sound of that ad, he could be stressed out or constipated.

Blondie said...

Just wanted to let you know I added you to my blog roll! Kori xoxo

Needless To Say said...

At least they remembered the quotation marks on "under pressure." He's not as stressed out as he wants you to believe, but never let him know you know that.

Kaitlyn said...

Would love to see a higher-res version to print out for my tea-obsessed cubicle mate, but Flickr says I don't have permission to view that page and the picture is private? :(

Lidian said...

vanilla - Not that good! I just saw them in my imagination - and I plan to blame caffeine ;)

heidi - Fortunately everyone around here knows just how to make the hot beverages of their choice.

The Ebon Swan - That is an excellent point, judging from the plethora of constipation-aid ads there were. Tea ain't gonna help with that (not much, anyway).

Blondie - Thank you, I will do the same! I love your blog! :)

Needless To Say - I liked those quotation marks - they add a subtext!

Tori Lennox said...

And here I was thinking he was "under pressure" because his wife was giving all that darn tea!

Lidian said...

Tori - Yeah, him and that tea kettle, too. (And I don't even know what I mean by that!)

Amy said...

i must admit a good cup of tea relaxes me but i cant imagine hunching my shoulders.

The Bewildered Brit said...

Maybe he's just British?

I'd be personally delighted if random people kept making me cups of tea. :)

Lidian said...

Amy - I am very fond of chai tea but I really don't expect it to solve any tough problems!

The Bewildered Brit - I thought of that, actually, and was going to work it in somehow, but as you see - didn't quite get there. I am married to a Brit who makes his own cups of tea mostly - though I admit that I will make them sometimes! :)

The Bewildered Brit said...

Lidian - and funnily enough I'm married to an American! Even though I've lived here for years, I still haven't managed to break my addiction to tea!

It has, however, been joined by an addiction to coffee. So I suspect that I'm somewhat over-caffinated these days!

I'm loving your blog, by the way. Just working my way through your archives now!

Lidian said...

The Bewildered Brit - Well, I drink tea sometimes and he drinks plenty of coffee so - we make it work out just fine. As for hot chocolate - that's a wild card, I guess. Whatever that means...

I really like your blog too and am looking forward to reading a lot more!

Jessica Cangiano said...

There's something all together too melancholy about those "all seeing" eyes. I think the Mrs. might want to seek the advice of a therapist for the sake of her over-stressed husband, a tea bag or two just isn't going to cut it here ;D


Wishing you a marvelous weekend, my friend!
♥ Jessica

Lidian said...

Jessica - I guess she could put those tea bags over his eyes - isn't that supposed to be good?