Saturday, October 17, 2009

Suddenly...You're Really Cooking!


No wonder they look so - thoughtful. One might almost say, unhappy. Unhappy because their circulation has been cut off by the quilted silver insulating shorts they are cooking themselves in - like roast chickens in the grocery store. Literally cooking, too - for behold, these are Sauna Trim Shorts.

This is the genius creation of Frederick's of Hollywood. The tag line ought to be: It's a sauna party in your pants every day, with Sauna Trim! And if you really were going to get 3 to 6 inches off in a week, you'd probably have to wear that thing all week long. Imagine how much fun that would be! I believe the couple pictured has been wearing them for a at least three days, judging by their expressions.

And they may be planning to get out of the house in their Sauna Shorts, since the picture below shows the woman in a dress with (presumably) the Shorts of Doom underneath. I don't know how that guy is going to get his polyester leisure suit on over the Sauna Shorts, though.

I'm sure that people in 1971 were convinced by this ad - convinced that they would be way better off just... going to the gym.

13 comments:

vanilla said...

Or, "I love me just the way that I am."

Funny as the ads are, they are never as hilarious as your analysis. Keep 'em coming!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Honestly those things scare the bejeeezus out of me!

What was up with them - except probably the incidence of yeast infections

Amanda said...

I can't believe it! That is really scary. I I don't mean to be risque, but isn't heat bad for male private parts?

This has to be one of the worst inventions.

The Exaggerator said...

I believe there was a Monty Python sketch inspired by these "slimming pants" ("Trim-Jeans Theatre Presents" the title thereof), all done up in awful Aussie accents.

Lidian said...

vanilla - They are fun to make fun of!

Tracy - I know, this is such a bad idea for so many reasons.

Amanda - I wonder how many of these they actually sold?

The Exaggerator - I don't think I've seen that one, I will have to go look it up on YouTube. And here I was thinking I'd seen every MPFC ever, I started watching in the mid-70s when they were first on PBS. I stayed up late every Tuesday night and it was the high point of the week! :)

~~louise~~ said...

Hilarious as usual. I do believe I remember those ads...Uh Oh...

P.S. I just stumbled upon a blog you may like. It's called The Vintage Cookbook Trials.

Wendy said...

"What is that thing on your leg?"

"Oh I don't know. The doctor said it was some kind of fungal infection."

(Shuffling away)

scottsabode said...

They look GREAT!
I wonder if you can still buy them?...

JD at I Do Things said...

I'm a little worried about the male version because . . . those shorts cover EVERYthing between waist and knees, and if shrinkage is involved, well, it could be a bad scene, if you know what I mean.

PJ said...

how utterly ridiculous! i can't imagine anyone actually wearing that contraption. lol

Lidian said...

louise - Thank you! I will go have a look.

Wendy - LOL!

scottsabode - Probably you could find something similar. I would not be surprised.

JD - "There was shrinkage! Significant shrinkage!" It could make for a good excuse. "But I was wearing Sauna Trim Shorts!"

PJ - It does seem unlikely, I can't imagine it either. But I guess people did.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Is it just my impression, or does that chap sport an ever-so-vague resemblance to a young Geraldo Rivera? ;D


Hope you have a fantastic week, sweet friend!
♥ Jessica

Lidian said...

Jessica - He does, you know! Maybe he's about to go do some hard-hitting journalism...