Sunday, November 15, 2009

Carefree Knits, Matching Socks Required

Happiness is knowing that you have knit yourself a perfectly coordinated outfit - from the dopey kerchief right down to those pernicious pink tights. Well, at least she's happy and that's what counts, right? The gal on the left is not quite so happy. Apparently, an orange high socks with bermudas and a matching orange sweater compel you to grab your arm awkwardly from behind and gaze into the distance.

The girl who is being stepped over has no matching socks or tights, but she's putting a brave face on the situation. In fact, she hasn't got any socks at all. Why is that? Maybe she hasn't finished knitting them. In which case she's lucky they aren't trampling on her. That's a serious fashion infraction, madam!

As you can see, the right hand shutter, in the background, does not have a lovely white design. That is because when I was carefully removing the sticky price label that the thrift store had very helpfully put right on the front cover, it tore. So I fixed it with a little Picnik sticker over at Flickr. A Picnik Flickr sticker - say that five times fast!

This is the front cover of a charmingly strange Lady Galt knitting book from 1969, full of oddly posed retrofolks. I'll be posting more of them, I'm sure.

9 comments:

philly5113 said...

These are very cool. Isnt it amazing that what is old is new again. These knitted fashions are some of the hottest items in the stores today. Funny..

Bill said...

I think they only let that poor girl in the middle out of the attic on weekends.

Feel free to leave the price tag on the cover in the future. Or make us guess how much they charged.

Me-Me King said...

My mother still has a couple of these fashions in the cedar wardrobe. Hmmm, I wonder if they still fit?

beth said...

I think the late 60's/early 70's was the era of awkward posing.

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

I just adore the jaunty posing in this photo.

I don't know why, but the second photo makes me think "Stepford Wife in Knitware".

Lidian said...

philly5113 - I was thinking the same thing, these are probably in fashion again (though maybe not the tights).

Bill - I might have you all guess, but I couldn't leave the price on - it was not an attractive label ;)

Me-Me - They will be cutting edge again! I have some hats and scarves from the 60s from my great-uncle's dry goods store and they are being worn again now, and are very retro!

beth - Especially in knitting books, which I love.

Richard - It gets worse (i.e. better) inside the book!

Emm said...

Oh no! Those are just awful! I usually love retro knitting patterns but those socks are frightening.

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Oh my, the pink set is really ugly. And that thing on her head looks like what people wear when they get teeth pulled!

Marcheline said...

I'm surprised the chick in pink didn't stage a revolt (pun intended) when she found out she was the only one of the three that had to pull her sweater down over her skirt top so that her hips looked four times their normal width, and wear arctic tundra tights that gave her cankles!