Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hopalong Casualty


Yes, you too can be "a Spaceman or Hopalong Casually." How casual is this, to be bouncing along the sidewalk in your Space Shoes? It will soon be followed by your casually falling on your face.

These mini-surfboard-and-springs devices are strapped to your regular shoes and will keep you hopping for the proverbial "hours of fun."

I've always wondered, precisely how many hours are "hours of fun"? I think it probably translates to "about five minutes or less."

Please note that all you fun-loving Canadians will have to shell out $2.75 instead of $1.98. That's just the way it is. Too bad they can't just lob them over the border - I'm sure they are springy enough.

I would guess that the Space Shoes ad is from the 1960s. In the 1960s, Murray's in New York made "sensible" shoes called Space Shoes (I didn't find a picture, but I'll bet you can imagine them) - and then there were these exquisite Outer Space Shoes from 1973. To go with the Lesiure Spacesuit, no doubt (medallions not included).

I have no idea why they are called Outer Space Shoes. Maybe that's the only place you'd be in fashion when you wore them. Those white ones with the buckles in particular.

Many thanks to tomheroes for the springy Space Shoes ad. The Outer Space Shoes are from The Rotarian, April 1973.

17 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

all I can say is.... hahahahahahahaha!

and hahahahahaha!

Georgina said...

Hilarious! I wonder if those shoes with little wheels in them that the kids all wear these days would be a Kichen Retro worthy ad in 50 years. Seriously? Parents buy those things for their kids? (Obviously we've not made much progress in the footwear department, have we?)I also think Crocs would qualify for a Kitchen Retro post in 50 years. - G

Amanda said...

I knew I was missing something from my wardrobe!

Bad Housewife said...

These are hilarious!

Michael said...

"Hopalong Casually!" This has to be one of the best ad-centered puns I have seen in a while! I suppose if I don't like being Hopalong, I can always be "Bugs Bouncy!"

Darla: Retro Ways said...

I love the spring shoes, I wonder if anyone ever got hurt by them though they dont look to safe.

xo Darla

Tori Lennox said...

They couldn't lob the spring shoes across the boarder because they might bounce back into the U.S. As for the Outer Space Shoes, somehow I don't see Buzz Aldrin or Neil Armstrong wearing them on the moon...

Lin said...

LOVE this post! Hilarious! That's exactly what I was thinking about the moon shoes--that you'd fall directly on your face.

Lidian said...

Tracy - That's what I said too when I first saw these shoe ads!

Georgina - Probably! Though I must confess, I do love my black Crocs (only inside the house though)

Amanda - Yes, they are an asset to every outfit!

Bad Housewife - I love the sixties, in retrospect - so much to make fun of.

Michael - I thought so too. Someone got a raise for that!

Darla - No they don't, indeed.

Tori - Yes, while swigging Tang, no doubt.

Lin - I think there was an "Arthur" episode (the cartoon) about "Moon Shoes" awhile back; they looked a bit steadier in that episode, though.

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

For three seconds there I wanted a pair of bouncy Space Shoes.

Then the words "twisted ankle within two seconds of putting them on" ran through my head.

What a terrifying invention. Terrifying.

As for those Outer Space Shoes: I reckon they'll look pretty darned good with my dracula trousers, don't you?

Eric said...

I could actually play basketball well if I had those awesome white spacey shoes. For hours.

Jennifer said...

Hopalong casualty was my first thought ...

Amy said...

very whacky but i bet they were totally cool in their hey day

Sugar Daddy Dating said...

Shoes with springs? I think if you wear this, you'll just hurt yourself, lol.

Lidian said...

Richard - They would look great with dracula trousers!

Eric - They look like they may have some special powers, those white shoes. You can also disco dance in them for hours, too.

Jennifer - Me too, as you see I went with the first-wild-thought title option ;)

Amy - Yeah, I'll bet a lot of kids wanted them.

SDD - Indeed you would.

heidi said...

and these days we're making our kids wear helmets to ride 12" bikes on the sidewalk. bah. our moms were jumping in space shoes in the middle of the street, helmet-free!

Marcheline said...

Springy Space Shoes! Get them now!*

* This advertisement has been brought to you by the Children's Orthodontic Surgical Units of America