Saturday, November 21, 2009

Jack The Zipper

This did not catch on, apparently. Even though with "no buttons to bust," you would have plenty of leeway for enormous three-martini lunches. And you could pretend you were an Airman, too - the Chevy magically transformed into a fighter plane as you sit in traffic every morning. Like Snoopy when he was pretending to fight the Red Baron!* Only he didn't have a zippered Airman shirt to dress up in, did he.

It came in "white and smart colors" - I guess white isn't that smart. Plus the steak sauce spills are going to show on white. What is a Smart Color, anyway? Blue, maybe. I don't think they mean orange or purple or red, those are Fun Colors. Brown would be smart though, you can spill all you like on that.

And goodness gracious, don't these folks look happy about it? Maybe he has trouble getting the buttons to come out even. That could be. The zipper has cut twenty minutes off his getting-ready time in the morning.

Big version over here at my Flickr thing; this is from Life, October 16, 1950. The Snoopy image is from What I Have Read Since 1974.

* Thank you, Tori, for setting me straight about Snoopy and the Red Baron being, of course, two separate entities. I adored Peanuts as a kid (still do) and ought to have remembered this!

12 comments:

PJ said...

lol, bet it's not much fun if you have a hairy chest and a tight shirt.

have a great day!

Tori Lennox said...

No, no, no! Snoopy fought the Red Baron. I have the record album full of songs about their battles to prove it.

As for the zipper shirts, that's just... well, weird.

Barbara said...

I had to laugh at this one. My dad was a CA Highway Patrolman and had all of his work shirts fitted with zippers. It made them lay nicely and look crisp. I had no idea they tried to sell this idea to the common man!!

Ah Dad, he would have been so vindicated!!

Lidian said...

PJ - He wouldn't look so happy then! ;)

Tori - Oh dear, you're exactly right. I stand corrected and will fix this in the post. Thank you so much :)

Barbara - It is actually not a bad idea, just not for a shirt with a suit and tie...

FreshHell said...

OOoh, I have that very same Snoopy and the Red Baron book! It had been my grandmother's (why she owned it, I don't know) and I got it when she died in '79.

Bill said...

Ah, the perfect shirt for a tawdry lunchtime tryst in a tacky hotel! I immediately thought of Marion Crane & Sam Loomis when I saw the illustration.
And we all know how well that affair turned out.

Barbara said...

Actually, Dad had to wear a tie with his uniform shirt, so it did work. Of course, uniforms shirts are heavier than regular shirts, so I can imagine the zipper might seem out of place with them...

scottsabode said...

PJ made the same comment I was planning to make! Those poor hairy chested men!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

oh man, a zip shirt sounds so tawdry. dont know why exactly but...hm...will have to think on this

Grandy said...

I know why that didn't catch on. The zipper caught too much in their chest hair. Wasn't it sometime soon after they just avoided buttons and zippers altogether, and had open polyester with gold chains? Yeah...that was a hot decision.

I've missed your blog! :D

hubbit said...

I tried to open the full-size picture on Flickr (*had* to see what the shirt actually looks like!), but the image is marked "private" and won't display.

Lidian said...

Oh nuts! Sorry 'bout that. Will go fix it now. I need to fix up my whole Flickr thing - it is like my grandmother's attic. Or our storage room in the basement. Same thing.