Monday, November 9, 2009

The Slumber Helmet


Last Friday I found a copy of the Woman's Journal, an English magazine, from 1937, for only a couple of dollars. It was up on a really tall shelf and it took me about an hour to get it down without having the whole entire floor-to-almost-the-ceiling bookcase fall over on me. But there were no step stools in the place. They did have the ladders that are attached to old tall bookcases (like they always have in English country house libraries in Agatha Christie novels) but this bookcase didn't have a ladder. And there were no tall people to ask to get it down. Anyway, I did get it down without ruining the bookstore or my cranium so hurray.

There are tons of wonderful ADS! in there but it is a big magazine and my scanner is small and frightened of large items. So...what I can do is scan some of the little ads. Here is one of my favorites:

Behold, the Ladye Jayne Slumber Helmet! That extra 'e' on the end of 'Lady' makes it so much more elegant, don't you think?

The words "Slumber" and "Helmet' do not go together. At all. Thus, the Ladye Jayne ensures that you will be very uncomfortable trying to get to sleep. Because it is a bathing cap, pretty much. A tight bathing cap that you stuff your permanent-waved head into every night so that you will be gorgeous in the morning.

I'd almost rather have a few books fall on me than wear this.

15 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

I love hyphens in ads...but whats with the hypens on put? lol...

heidi said...

this reminds me of my great grandpa - - he'd cut off my granny's knee-highs and wear them on his head to bed. every night. bet it was more economical. and odd.

Michael said...

I had one relative, a grandmother, who had a bedtime head dress ritual she followed. First, she wrapped a strip of toilet paper around her head, then covered it up with a little cap more flimsy looking than this one. I never thought of naming this headgear. But now I will: the THEL-met (Her name was Thelma). I guess her approach was not uncommon; I have seen imitation THEL-mets on other women's heads on TV. But none of them is a genuine THEL-met! Accept no substitutes

WillOaks Studio said...

I'm impressed with the things we women will do for vanity! I do remember the old days when "permanent waves" were in and my own mom was hooked on them--so we little kids had to have them tooo--they STUNK! Guess if you go through that, you need a helmet to save it! LOL!

Venom said...

I swear to God, my mother wore one of these faithfully. She also had various bastardized versions of this same cap - flimsy plastic raincaps that came in little platic pouches she always had tucked away into her purse.
Ahh, memories...

Lidian said...

Tracy - I have no idea! They marched (and wrote) to their own drummers, I think.

heidi - Probably a bit more comfortable, too.

Michael - I think you may really have something there! ;)

Karen - Yes, those were the days when you had to preserve the Hairdo at all costs. Thank goodness I came of age in the 70s!

Venom - LOL! My mom had those little plastic rain bonnets too. And I swore I was never going to EVER wear anything like that. I will always uncontrollable frizz over plastic cap contraptions ;)

Tori Lennox said...

I love the little tie thingy under the chin. Guaranteed to make you feel like you're being strangled while your head is squeezed in the helmet.

Lidian said...

Tori - Yes indeed - like a 60s bathing cap. They had lovely chin straps)!

Vintage Christine said...

Husbands back in the day must have been REALLY desperate for some lovin'--they not only had to disregard this helmet, but cold cream, "wings", bobby pins and rollers, chin straps . . . it's amazing that anyone got born!

Sugar Daddy Dating said...

@ Toni - ahaha, you're right, how can they sleep wearing something like that? O.o

Dave DeWall said...

Hello Lidian, I would love to get one of those for my wife for Christmas. I hope I can find one, but I imagine after your post comes out there will be a run on them. Thanks for the great Christmas gift idea!

Lidian said...

Christine - And what fun for women!

SDD - I have no idea.

Dave - Oh dear, that wasn't my intention!

Amy said...

what a great find, the head cap, that would be seriously annoying to wear.

New York Vintage Linens said...

The things women did -
OUCH- imagine wearing that to bed!
I remember you could not go in a pool without a bathing cap on. Boy did they hurt coming off!

Lidian said...

Amy - It really does look annoying! Yes, there are some terrific ads in this magazine, I wish I could scan some of the big ones for you to see...

NY Vintage Linens - I used to wear a bathing cap as a kid and it was terrible! I rebelled, eventually ;)