Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wiglomeration

Go casual one minute. Go glamorous the next. Oh, OK. But...which one of these is supposed to be casual? And...err...which one is supposed to be glamorous? I see a lot of hundred-pound curl skyscrapers. And reinforced-with-steel mini flips. And something that you might wear if you're playing the title role in the suburban-dinner-theater version of I Dream Of Jeannie.

I suppose this was the height (so to speak) of fashion in 1966. I was four years old, what do I know about it? I had pigtails and bangs.

Pick the look you'd like to have and a David & David hairpiece will create it for you. Really? I had no idea a hairpiece could do all that. Maybe it could run out and get me a few things at the store, too.

[From Life, May 20, 1966.]

Wiglomeration is a word made up by Charles Dickens in Bleak House. It means legal fussing and complications that end up in a huge intricate mess - which made me think of these wigs. "How mankind ever came to be afflicted with Wiglomeration, or for whose sins these young people ever fell in a pit of it, I don't know..."

4 comments:

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

If I had the hairstyle in the bottom left, I'd put a remote controlled mechanical arm in it. That way, I could freak out people at the elegant soiree I was attending. Perhaps I could even use it as a third hand to hold my drink while using my free hands to nibble on the canap├ęs.

Lidian said...

Richard - That does sound like fun!

P.L. Frederick said...

Yes, who knew wigs could do what real human hair couldn't?! (Sorry, hair. My apology. But you know 'tis truth.) That dealie at the top left is something special. I've never seen a better use for a capital J.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Jude said...

I was 13 in 66 and believe it or not some women didn't even need the hair pieces they actually had their hair styled that way with their own, fantastic to see these styles.