Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Best Tie To Wear In A Blizzard

This here is no ordinary tie: it's a Nor-East tie! Strong enough to withstand a Nor'easter (in case you happen to out in a formal-dress-only winter storm). It is uncrushable, this tie. Probably made of asbestos, too.

File this gift idea along with the Jade East: the inevitable Christmas Tie! Yes, that's the ticket. Get him a tie. Guys sure love getting ties, right? You can't see this man's face, but I am sure he looks thrilled. The woman looks startled. Maybe she forgot what she bought him. Maybe she's stunned that he actually likes it.

I'm stunned that Wembley thinks a tie needs to be strong enough to withstand being crushed and stamped on and twisted up by a pro wrestler and knotted like a rope on a commercial fishing boat. I mean, you put on a tie, it just stays there, right? The most trauma it ever gets is the odd splash of tomato sauce from those three-martini business lunches.

If you get a guy two ties you can reenact the old joke where the mother gets her son two ties.  He wears one the next day. She gives him a look and sighs: So - I guess you didn't like the other one.

[From Life, December 8, 1952. Larger version over here.]

10 comments:

Vintage Christine said...

He's telling her he's going to tie her up with that new tie and give her a Christmas present she'll never forget. Woohoo!!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

LOL, thats a whole lot of abuse heaped on a tie!

aldon @ orient lodge said...

"I mean, you put on a tie, it just stays there, right? The most trauma it ever gets is the odd splash of tomato sauce from those three-martini business lunches."

I guess you've never been to a three-martini business lunch, or if you have you don't recall what can happen at them.

For that matter, I've been to a few three-martini business lunches that I can't clearly remember what happened. Fortunately, my tie never got too crumpled.

Lidian said...

Christine - I was afraid of something like that.

Tracy - And neither of my cats has even seen it yet!

aldon - Well, no, I haven't. I've been on one muffin coffee breaks but they really aren't the same, I guess.

mike said...

The look on her face is saying, "oh my...your tie...it's so...strong!"

Lidian said...

mike - LOL! Absolutely - that is such a retro-ad-wife look, isn't it?

Midcenturymadam said...

Is that a new tie or are you just happy to see me?

Amy said...

Oh my, you'd think they could do better gifts back then than ties, gosh!

vanilla said...

Oh, Wembly ties were great, but in '52 it took the wages of an hour and forty minutes to obtain one. Unless that cute little gal gave you one for Christmas.

Lidian said...

Midcenturymadam - LOL! I was thinking that, too ;)

Amy - You'd think so, but no :)

vanilla - They really were expensive!