Monday, December 21, 2009

Glen Plaid Gauchos And An Entertaining Little Jumpsuit

Well, you know, Simplicity, women actually wore trousers prior to 1970. Blue jeans in the 50s and 60s, and polyester pants, things like that.

But this picture, from one of my mother's sewing booklets (dated 1970) is so much fun I had to share it with you. The copy is fun, too (link to big version where you can read it is below). Simplicity suggests "glen plaid gauchos to shop in, [and] a striped jersey wool jumpsuit to entertain in." It is guaranteed that you'll be very entertaining wearing a striped knee-length jumpsuit. And the pale-blue glen plaid gauchos are also amusing.

I need to wrap all the presents today (which will translate into wrapping some of them, but as many as possible, anyway) so this will be a quick post. I can't wait to do some posts on the fabulously nutty retro cookbook I found last week - I don't want to spoil anything but we will all be learning to make wheelbarrows out of toast, for one thing.

I might wait until after Christmas for that. We will probably need a few extra laughs in January, when all the eggnog is gone and the tree is down and so on.

For today - dig those gauchos! And the laced-up boots the legs in the middle are wearing - are they not fabulous? If only I could find those in a secondhand store...

The big version is here. And here is some bonus Monday music from the album Gaucho by Steely Dan from 1980, "Hey Nineteen." In my case it would have been Hey, Eighteen. Close enough.

12 comments:

RNSANE said...

That Steely Dan music is nice..and I DID have some gaucho pants at one time!

Lidian said...

RNSANE - I love Steely Dan, so it was the perfect excuse to post some :)

I never did have gauchos, alas.

Tori Lennox said...

Y'know, even when I was a child in 1970 I thought gauchos were ugly. They haven't improved with age. LOL!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead shopping without a sporting glen plaid gauchos.

Lidian said...

Tori - No, they have not.

Richard - I'm not sure that that is genuine glen plaid, though (must check, I think my mother would have known as she was part Scottish and knew a lot about tartans)

TheWordWire said...

Isn't it funny how times have changed? These days, it's perfectly acceptable to entertain in glen plaid gauchos. But you still can't get away with shopping in a wool suit.

FishHawk said...

Hated the pants. Loved the song. Still do!

Lidian said...

TheWordWire - Everything comes back in fashion if you wait long enough (well, almost anything)...

FishHawk - Me too :)

vintagegent said...

The long blue shorts remind me of "jams" from the late 80s. Remember those?

Lidian said...

vintagegent - Oh yeah, I do! They are a bit like those.

Barbara said...

LOVED gauchos! Still do, but you can't find them anywhere (does that mean I'm ancient?) Steely Dan rocks. Let's all party!

Lidian said...

Barbara - I think I saw gauchos around a coupe of years ago but they may have been for teens (I am not sure, and it is too late to go ask the resident teens)...Steely Dan does rock! :)