Sunday, December 27, 2009

High and Dryskin

This lady is disproportionally excited about Sofskin hand lotion. Since she comes from 1950s Adland, this is not a big surprise. They are constantly worked up about products there.

I had a great uncle who lived in Hollis (it is in Queens, not Long Island as the ad says), which is where this lady comes from. I don't think that my great uncle (who was exceedingly dry in more ways than one) ever experienced the miracle of Sofskin. She must have been keeping this a secret from the rest of the neighborhood.

Still, her joy is beyond dispute and indeed rather frightening. Ah, such manic glee, such bug-eyed rapture over a bottle of lotion.

But the letdown will come soon enough, just like (oh wait, here comes the tie-in with the holiday season!) - post-Christmas letdown. The slide towards New Year's, when you've played with all your new stuff a lot, and maybe exchanged some of it. And you're getting real sick of turkey. And maybe even a little bit sick of chocolates (I know it is hard to imagine). Unless that lotion is leaving a residue of diamond rings and $100 bills on your hands, you will get bored by it, definitely.

I'd like to see the letdown version of this ad. She's just sitting there, going "Meh, Sofskin works, I guess. But I still have to do all these stupid dishes!"

*****
I've been thinking about merging Doubletake into Kitchen Retro and making Kitchen Retro into one multi-faceted, multi-dimensional retroganza, so I will be importing the best Doubletake posts here and maybe redesigning things a little to help you all find different categories of retro stuff on the site. I'll be tinkering with things in the next few weeks, so there may be a little dust and clutter around. So, just like my bookshelves and desk. I'll let you know what's happening as I go along.

The Sofskin lady is from the amazing archives of LiveJournal (big version over there, of course) - and  many thanks to the people who post those incredible ads over there!

14 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I'm thinking Sofskin may be a product created by The Joker. She has that same manic fixed grin that everyone in the original Batman movie with Michael Keaton wore who had a run-in with The Joker's beauty products.

As for merging Doubletake into Kitchen Retro, I can see how the two would work well together.

JD at I Do Things said...

OK, that lady is scaring me. I only use Curel original formula -- I canNOT stand any other kind of lotion. So I get the happiness at finding a lotion you like, but . . . no reason to lose your noggin over it.

Boy, I didn't even KNOW there was a Doubletake, so I'm glad you mentioned it. Yes, I definitely think you should merge.

Lidian said...

Tori - I know, she is SO scary!

JD - No reason at all.

Tori & JD - Yeah, I think merging is definitely the way to go! It won't be hard to do either. I think...

mike said...

As a kid, I remember seeing ads in the 70's for dishwashing detergent that wouldn't dry out your hands. They used the term 'lobster hands' as the scary ad tactic.

I guess 'dryskin hands' lost it's bite after awhile.

Crabby Blogging Lady said...

Holy cow! Where'd her eyelashes go??

Lidian said...

mike - I remember those ads! The nail lady made her client soak her hands in dish soap. It always looked kind of gross, really (I'll have to post that commercial sometime)

Crabby Blogging Lady - I know, they seem to have disappeared! Maybe they were frightened.

Barbara said...

That would be Madge for Palmolive dishwashing liquid - "You're soaking in it!"

Every time I see one of those ads I think - gloves...wear the rubber gloves if your smooth hands are so important to you!!

Lidian said...

Barbara - Yup, that was Madge, thank you. Couldn't think of her name. She was awfully perky, wasn't she? I wonder how many women she played that trick on!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

OMG - that face in ads has always amazed me! Although Ive never seen one quite like that one, so, what happened to baby jane.

Anyway... I think they should have added thorozine to the hand cream :)

Lidian said...

Tracy - Yes, that would be an excellent idea, since it seems to overexcite people so much.

Laura said...

My friend started a new blog about collecting. She also writes a lot about vintage things. You two have a lot of interests in common.

http://inherited-values.com/

Lidian said...

Laura - Thanks, I'll go check it out!

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Why is there a cat in the ad?

If this loon showed up at my door I'd hide behind the couch. *shudders*

Marcheline said...

First of all, I live on Long Island and as far as I know, Queens has not been removed off the island. It is part of Long Island, as it is on this side of the bridge that leads to Manhattan.

Secondly, is no one concerned about that rather oddly shaped item she is stroking in the last picture? From a distance, it looks like that guy from the other ad. What was his name? Oh yeah... DICK!