Friday, December 18, 2009

Is That A Tiny Vacuum Cleaner In Your Pocket?

Is that a tiny vacuum cleaner in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Say it in a Mae West voice, see if he gets the little joke. What little joke? you ask. Well, looky what General Electric has for wives wanting to hint around that they would just love a nice new vacuum cleaner!

Yes, it is a miniature model of a vacuum cleaner. Your local GE dealer is waiting to hand one to you - "and it won't cost you a red cent."

So you take it home (says GE) and stick a little note inside the tiny vacuum. What will the note say? Not anything obvious like "I want this!" No, it will have the dealer's name and address on it. And then you put it in your husband's pocket and wait until he discovers it.

"Hey, that's not my keys! What - what is this? Who is this Lou Hooverific fellow? Is this some kind of funny business? Are you two-timing me with a vacuum salesman?"

But don't worry, he will catch on almost immediately. GE says so. But I'm not sure you'd know, right off the bat, how to interpret it when your spouse starts getting miniature versions of things they want and stuffing them in your pockets. You'll look at your kid's dollhouse and dolls in a whole new light now. Barbie has a nice set of fancy jewelry and luggage. On the other hand, the furniture in that dollhouse looks like someone's been chewing on it. Which isn't much different than what you've already got.

Instead of the note, maybe you'd better just write him a letter and stick it in the old vacuum cleaner. And then put that out in the hallway where he can trip over it. That'll do the trick.
  
[From Life, December 7, 1953. Big version here.

19 comments:

Leah@storybookranch said...

Cute! I used to think it was lame to want a vacuum for Christmas, now that I'm the head vacuumer, I think it's a fantastic gift!

Angel said...

LOL! Miniature jewelry.. Where's my old barbie doll stuffs? You just gave me an idea! :D

Georgina said...

LOL! And if our husbands were to use the same ploy, what would they what put in our pockets? - G

Lidian said...

Leah - I know, I was actually really appreciating our semi-new vacuum cleaner yesterday (though do not appreciate the actual vacuuming). I even got excited about getting a carpet sweeper several years ago (Sad, I know!). I like carpet sweepers for in-between vacuums, as they are light and quiet. So quiet!

Angel - I think I gave myself an idea, too! Think of all the miniature things around that you could use -

Georgina - I was going to add that at the end, but I couldn't think of anything. Anyone? What do the gentlemen put in the ladies' pockets (or handbags) for hinting purposes? Please do not be too naughty in your replies ;)

Relax Max said...

In days of old, every manufacturer believed what the Little Woman craved most for Christmas was another work appliance of some sort.

I hope I haven't missed the point, and if you were really talking potty-talk in that subtle way of yours, I certainly apologize. You keep me off-balance, intellectually. Maybe.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

It's funny, I asked my husband for a dutch oven for Christmas. A particular dutch oven. But he thought a pot was an inappropriate gift for Christmas and took me out and bought it for me for Not Christmas. So I guess that means I get something ELSE instead for Christmas. Woo hoo!

Lidian said...

Max - It is my mission to keep you off-balance ;)

And I never talk à la potty. I am wicked sometimes but only off-blog.

Margaret - Yay, double presents! That's good. And so are Dutch ovens, despite the name being a little bit insulting to the Dutch (and since I am part Dutch I like to point this out) ;)

Tori Lennox said...

All things considered I'd rather have books.

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

I'm fairly sure Natalie would kill me if I bought her a vacuum cleaner for Christmas.

Especially as I do the vacuuming! :)

Lidian said...

Tori - Me too.

Richard - I can think of many other things I would rather get than a vacuum cleaner (like books, I agree with Tori)

Kathy said...

I think I'd be putting that thing in my husband's pocket with a note that says "The bigger one works. How 'bout using it from time to time? Thanks."

Duni said...

That's too funny!
But...who would want a vacuum cleaner for Christmas? Not me!
My husband already knows I do not want any household appliance whatsoever ;-)

Lidian said...

Kathy - That's a great idea :)

Duni - Yeah, me too. I never hint that I want something to clean with.

Rebecca said...

My mom had one of those vacs... which means that I used it all the time! Boy, that thing lasted FOREVER, probably 25 years til we couldn't find replacement parts for it. It was a great vac.. for being the size of a walnut, that is. ;)

By the way, the Captcha for this comment is "criespam." LOL!

Lidian said...

Rebecca - It does look like a great vaccuum, I must say :)

And I love the captcha!

Vintage Vacuum said...

Okay, that article was just plain fun. :) Actually, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that miniature version. I wonder if they really did make anything like that?It sure would make it easier for vacuum collectors, imagine the space they could save. lol

Lidian said...

Vintage Vacuum - You know, I was thinking the same thing! It really would be cool to find one of these tiny vacuums. I think that they probably did make them, but not sure how many or if the 'fad' caught on. I wonder how one could find out (GE archives perhaps?)

prashant said...

Where's my old barbie doll stuffs?

Work from home India

Cari Hislop said...

If my Goblin (husband not vacuum cleaner) started finding miniature appliances in his pocket he'd threaten to trade me in for a newer model.

Speaking vacuum cleaners; I'll never forget the one my mother had when I was a kid. It was a metal canister that must have weighed as much as me. It was like a canon in reverse. No wonder all those housewives were so fit!