Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Old Mr. Boston's Hot Toddies

My title sounds like the name of a cheap all-girl vaudeville act in a 1930s B-movie (starring W.C. Fields as Old Mr. Boston, though the Dickensian fellow on the cover at left looks about a thousand times fresher than W.C.) - but it isn't about that at all.

The other week I found the most delightful cocktail recipe book from 1941 - the Old Mr. Boston's DeLuxe Official Bartender's Guide. It is full of terrifically named drinks and beautiful photos. If only scanning them wasn't going to crack Old Mr. Boston's spine, I would show you some. But unless OMB is on Google Books, I can't. The book's in perfect shape - mint as a mint julep - so it would just Not Be Right.

You can see the front cover over at the left though. And we will learn how to make some hot toddies from OMB, too. At below right is a Christmastime special offer from OMB in 1959 - a Golden Pourer* so that you can make your OMB drinks in style. And also not spill anything.

If you came here via Kitchen Retro you will be glad to know these recipes, because today's frightful retro ad stars a horrendous drink called Hot Buttered Tomato Juice.

Well, save that Land O Lakes butter for these instead:

Hot Brick Toddy

Into Hot Whiskey glass put:
1 Teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Powdered Sugar
3 Pinches Cinnamon
1 oz. Hot Water, and dissolve thoroughly. Then add:
1 1/2 oz. Old Mr. Boston Rye or Bourbon Whiskey. Fill with Boiling Water and stir.

Hot Buttered Rum

Put Lump of Sugar into Hot Whiskey glass and fill with two-thirds Boiling Water. Add square of Butter and 2 Oz. Old Mr. Boston Imported Rum. Stir and grate Nutmeg on top.

The capitalizations are from OMB, by the way. As is the insistence on mixing glassware and boiling water. If I were you, I'd use a ceramic mug to make this sort of thing.

Sometime between now and Christmas I'll do an egg nog post and share OMB's unusual recipe. There's one ingredient in it I have never seen in any egg nog recipe before. Of course, that might be because I don't travel much in egg nog circles (whatever they might be) but - well, I'll be very curious to see what you all think.

*Doesn't The Golden Pourer sound just like a Philip Pullman outtake (from the little-known series His Dark Potables)?

[The Golden Pourer ad is from Ebony, December 1959, bigger version here.]

9 comments:

Rachael said...

I tend to travel in the tequila circles. You'll know us because we're usually the ones throwing up our beans and rice from the Mexican restaurant that's down the block from the bar and woo-ing very loudly. There may be a removal of clothing, I can't be sure.

What I can be sure of though, is that I'd love to run in the egg nog circles every once in a while.

aldon @ orient lodge said...

I must admit, I do not tend to travel in the tequila circles very much these days, there is something I never really enjoyed about throwing up my beans and rice. However, it sounds like Rachael's circles may have been a little more fun.

I do try to make my annual pilgrimages to the eggnog circle, even though there are enough members of my extended family that are allergic to eggs that this is a bit harder these days.

As to Hot Toddies, and for that matter Hot Butter Rums, I seem to recall having some of one or the other at some point in the past and not being all that impressed.

For other uses of butter, I seem to recall that there was a movie which had a reference to a bachelor's refrigerator having only champagne and butter in it, but the butter was not intended as part of a drink. Unfortunately, I can't remember the movie or the quote.

All of that said, I look forward to your post about eggnog

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

Oooh, those sound just the ticket for today--what with our first serious snowfall of the year!

TheWordWire said...

I usually like something like a cosmo if I'm going to have a cocktail, but I think the cosmos are trying to get me to try this drink. This is probably the third reference to hot toddys I've stumbled upon today. I guess I'll just have to try it!

Lidian said...

Rachael - I used to travel in tequila circles. Or rather, I hung out on the )salt-covered) rim of them. Fun times.

Aldon - I wonder what that movie was - not The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine? Wild guess. Saw it on a plane once (was very lucky with the movies that trip!). Eggs are tricky nowadays, it's true, so it's more of a custardized eggnog circle I guess.

Richard - We got some of that snow in southern Ontario but it is raining now so you can imagine the gorgeousness of things outside now. Of course, that might also call for a little something...

TheWordWire - Three times is a charm, and all that. I say go for it! (I have never had one myself, but i might put it on the New Year's resolutions list...)

Emm said...

Hey - did you update your header? It looks nice. (Either that or I'm just slow and if so, I apologise!)

Mmmmm, hot buttered rum. We drink hot toddies here still. And egg nog... yum!

I think it is great that you treat books with such care. I really like that. (Oh, I loved the Philip Pullman reference!)

Lidian said...

Emm - Yeah, I did update it, I am trying to do that once a month. I like Rounders and the other boring Blogger templates because I can mess around with them! ;)

I adore old books - they are treasure indeed.

And I thought of The Golden Compass as soon as I saw that ad!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Hot buttered tomato juice? How did I miss that monstrosity? o m g

the only thing worse would be the jello version of that :)

Lidian said...

Tracy - Yeah, that would be about as bad as it gets. I really hope I don't see an ad for that!