Sunday, December 13, 2009

Startling Detecto

A Detecto scale is not "a perfect gift." Nor is a laundry hamper. And as for the little aluminum wastebasket - not so much, either. This ad ran during the Christmas season of 1949, so it was definitely aimed at the holiday shopper.

Most people do not associate weighing themselves with a good time during the holidays. Consider all those cookies and eggnog and chocolate Santas and so on. Who wants to unwrap a Detecto scale on Christmas morning? No one, that's who. And it comes complete with unspoken messages! Those are always fun.

Nor is a laundry hamper a wonderful gift idea - even if it is "the World's Most Beautiful Hamper." You didn't even know there was a competition among laundry hampers, did you? Well, there was -  and this is the winner. Good thing we can't see the losers. And it's also good that the dirty laundry is not included. I hope.

And finally, the aluminum waste basket. Another festive gift idea that will thrill anyone and make what Detecto calls "the supreme gift." That's what you call it if you buy the scale, hamper and waste basket as a set - supreme. Basically, you're telling the recipient that they're fat, throw dirty clothes on the floor and have a lot of trash. Hey, happy holidays!

I am sure that the recipients would think of some other words besides supreme for this.

[From Life, December 5, 1949.]

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that exact laundry hamper, in yellow, and I can testify that it truly IS the most beautiful one I've ever seen.

Sparkina said...

If I had a special gentleman in my life and he had the brass huevos to give me a bathroom scale or a laundry hamper as a gift, the most intimate encounter he would experience that night would be between my knee and his -- er --"lowers"

Midcenturymadam said...

If I received a scale as a gift, my husband would probably have some pretty special gifts under the tree the following Christmas. Perhaps a jar of Rogaine or a man girdle.

Barbara said...

You...you mean you won't LOVE the hamper and scale I sent you for Christmas? The salesman assured me that this was THE perfect gift for a hardworking wife! I was going to get the Holiday Pressure Cooker, but I was assured that thru all surveys, this was the TOP gift on everyone's list.

I'm gonna kill that salesman.

Keith said...

I don't like weighing myself any time of the year, but especially during the holiday season. lol

I hope you've had a great weekend. Take care. Enjoy the week ahead. Cheers!

SmartShopIt said...

Drats! Guess I shouldn't give my wife that scale I got her for Xmas. Thanks for saving my hide (and marriage)! :0)

FreshHell said...

My five-year-old asked Santa for a clock and a trash can for her room. Sadly, he didn't have this lovely one in mind. Instead, I believe he's giving her one shaped like a monkey.

Lidian said...

Anonymous - It sounds very nice in yellow!

Sparkina - He would certainly detecto that ;)

Midcenturymadam - That sounds about right.

Barbara - I think she already has the Holiday Pressure Cooker (we all do, lol)

Keith - Yeah, it's just a bad idea any time of year.

SmartShopIt - No problem! Another day, another useful retro ad ;)

FreshHell - The monkey-shaped wastebasket sounds adorable! Much, much better than this one.

Lidian said...

Anonymous - It sounds very nice in yellow!

Sparkina - He would certainly detecto that ;)

Midcenturymadam - That sounds about right.

Barbara - I think she already has the Holiday Pressure Cooker (we all do, lol)

Keith - Yeah, it's just a bad idea any time of year.

SmartShopIt - No problem! Another day, another useful retro ad ;)

FreshHell - The monkey-shaped wastebasket sounds adorable! Much, much better than this one.

Hairball T. Hairball said...

"Basically, you're telling the recipient that they're fat, throw dirty clothes on the floor and have a lot of trash. Hey, happy holidays!"

All they need is bottle of booze to complete the "my life truly sucks" gift set.

Lidian said...

Hairball - Yes, that would be the Ultra Deluxe Gift Set.