Thursday, December 31, 2009

What A New Year's Eve This Will Make!

Here are two extremely fun and exciting ideas to make your New Year's Eve party a - well, a retrospectacular (yeah, I like that word, I just made it up the other day, thought I could use it again here). Even though the visuals are in black and white, you can just imagine the bright and wacky sight that these two party necessities will bring to your house.

Oh yes, they will bring the fun all right! Because really, what else do you need for a fun evening with your guests besides (a) fabulous decorations and (b) a really clever, and sturdy, refreshment area?

You can make a lovely checkered open bar out of cardboard cartons! And the best part is the name that the Popular Mechanics writer thought up for it, back in December 1963. Are you ready? It is called a One Night Stand. I think maybe that writer was making a joke, don't you? Pretty racy for 1963, eh what?

This certainly is going to be some party!

And wait 'til you see the balloons. You will love them, because you do not stick them on a wall and forget them, oh no. You will be wearing them as hats. This ad is from a 1947 Billboard, by the way, a bit anachronistic with regards to the One Night Stand, but so what, it's going to be the most amazing party of the year. Of the decade! Or as the Lee-Tex party experts so rightly say - and I really think this sums everything up - What a New Year's Eve this will make!

Hope you have a terrific New Year's Eve, wherever you land on the Cardboard-Bar-Balloon-Hat Celebration Spectrum. See you next year (tomorrow) with just one more New Year's resolution that I don't think you have even considered. I really am pretty sure you haven't, anyway...

[If you want to see how to make the One Night Stand, ahem,you can go right over here and have a look.]

11 comments:

Barbara said...

How stinkin' cool is that bar? I'm printing all this out for the future. I love your stash of stuff! I wish all my blog friends lived closer - what a wild, vintage party we could have!!

Margie and Edna said...

Margie: That sure makes me want to have a party!
Happy New Year!!

JD at I Do Things said...

Oh. my. god.

Where do I get some of those balloon party hats? I'm serious! Look how happy those balloon-hat-wearing people are! No wonder my NYE always falls flat. I'm stuck with tiny novelty-sized top hats or ridiculous glittery fedoras -- all this time I've been missing the one item that would kick my New Year off on the right foot.

You think I'm kidding? I'm not. I want those hats.

Have a retrospectacular New Year!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Swear, with the name of those balloons I was thinking latex and I'm thinking before I read it...OMG they are wearing condoms on their heads.

Sigh.

Tracy

Lidian said...

Barbara - I wish we lived closer too - we could have so much fun! I don;t know that many people IRL who find this stuff as...compelling as I do ;)

Miss Margie and Miss Edna, I hope that you both have a delightful New Year in every way!

JD - I want those hats too! And if you can see the print bit (I can link to the jumbo version if people are very keen, I was kind of lazy about that today) - they say that the crepe paper bit is really strong and it is just the most fun people will ever have at a party, they will enter your house all glum and unsuspecting and then, WOW! BALLOON HATS!! Yes, we must find and buy many of these hats, JD.

I once put purple glitter spray in my hair, in the 80s, for a party, little suspecting that I, like you with the fedora, was going down an entirely misleading fashion road.

Tracy - The word latex reminded me of condoms, too. A One Night Stand bar party demands the right kind of hat, I guess.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

A One Night Stand? I love it!

heidi said...

I'm [this close] to making my own balloon party hats! Love the throw-away-bar, too.

Happy NY to you - looking forward to the warp & wit in 2010!

Barbara said...

Those hats would be pretty easy to make...I dare people to make them and wear them to a party - tonight or any other night!!

Happy New Year Lidian!

RNSANE said...

You have the best ideas. I don't do parties that much anymore - at 65 - but, at one time in my life, I'd have that out all the time! Great ideas! I'm saving them for my sons and their gals.

Lidian said...

Margaret - It made my day to find that, I love it too!

heidi - All the best to you as well! :)

Barbara - I think that yes, you could definitely make these without the help of Lee-Tex and their latexnology.

RNSANE - I might make the cardboard bar one of these years, it does look kind of fun. But not with checks, I would paint mine purple with silver and gold moons and shooting stars...

Hairball T. Hairball said...

I can't say I've ever drank enough to think that wearing a balloon on my head was a good idea. LOL

Thanks for all the laughs this past year, Lidian!