Friday, January 1, 2010

The Faculty of Fine Eggs

Here's one more New Year's resolution we all may want to consider. Everybody put on your best apron, raise your right arm high and repeat after the little lady at the left:

I'll always make my cup custards with FINE EGGS!

They don't have to be perfect eggs, just - fine. But how do you know if your eggs are fine? The answer that springs to mind is simply to ask them how they are. The polite egg will always say: oh, I'm fine, how are you? And that is how you know.


Also, make sure that you are fine as well, before attempting to make custard. And if everything and everyone is fine, then go ahead. Oh, it's going to be a great year, 2010. It'll be our year for getting things done! And what are we going to do? We will, of course, be making many, many cup custards.

Which brings to mind another resolution: buy custard cups, immediately. And we'll all sing:

Should older eggs just be forgot
When dessert time comes to mind?
We'll make a cup of custard yet
'Cause I'm sure those eggs are fine.

This 1941 ad, from Woman's Day, is from the wonderful TJS Labs (where you can see this in a larger size, and maybe take down the recipe).

14 comments:

Barbara said...

Very nice poem!!

I guess we should just keep singing Ol' Eggs Syne, eh?

vanilla said...

The lyrics are fine.

Actually, they are great!

Tori Lennox said...

SOOO disappointing. Our eggs claim they are feeling under the weather. No custard for me.

wngl said...

You should write rhymes for Snoop Dogg!

Lidian said...

Barbara - Yes, absolutely. New custards for old eggs!

vanilla - Happy New Year!

Tori - I think our eggs are asleep. They look it.

wngl - Ah, but I suspect that he would not find me amusing, nor I him ;)

destrella said...

That is cute! happy new year! :O)

heidi said...

old eggs = new case of salmonella!

Hairball T. Hairball said...

I'm craving custard now.

Lidian said...

destrella - All the best to you, too!

heidi - I wonder what thousand year old eggs would be like? Would it then be thousand year old custard? Some things, of course, are best left as rhetorical questions.

Hairball - As long as someone else (not me!) is making it, yes, me too ;)

Leeuna said...

So, your eggs are fine. That's great and how are you? Hope you had a great holiday. Now I'm off to make custard...if my eggs say they are fine and not just "Okay".

Jessica Cangiano said...

Hi Lidian dear, thank you so very much for your wonderfully kind comments recently (and throughout 2009), they mean a tremendous amount to me.

I truly hope that your year is off to a sparklingly fantastic start, and that each the days that follows will continually be even more amazing for you than the last!

Immensely big hugs & endless joyful wishes,
♥ Jessica

Anna Lefler said...

"I'm sure those eggs are fine." Lord, how many times have I muttered that under my breath in my kitchen? Ha!

Love your blog - and thanks for visiting mine!

Happy New Year...

:-D Anna

Lidian said...

Jessica - All the same, back at you! :)

Anna - Well, I'm going to be visiting you regularly, you know - I love your blog too!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

oh my!

this:

oh, I'm fine, how are you? And that is how you know.


lolololol!