Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mind the Airplane, Gertrude!

Boy, that airplane is flying a little close, isn't it? The happy orange people have not seen it, though. They are just too busy enjoying their very own Pleasure Island which Dr. Pepper gave them. That's not a bad gift, coming from a little can of soda, is it?

This is the sentence they want us to complete. Best answer takes the island (it's in the Bahamas, apparently):

Dr. Pepper heads the list of things I'd want on my Pleasure Island because....

(a) ...because otherwise I won't win the island, will I?
(b) ...because it tastes better than salt water!
(c) ...because it is the perfect beverage to drink with whatever we catch or fruits that bonk us on the head.


On a closer reading, I think you are just getting a trip there - not the title deed to the island or anything. But still. That could be good. However, Dr. Pepper is not heading my particular List of Things to take to an island retreat. My list includes Things like a Kindle, dark chocolate, a reservation for luxury accommodation and a boatful of money. Oh, and Diet Coke with Lime, sorry, Dr. Pepper. (Guess I would not have won this, anyway, I wasn't even born yet!)

How about you? What do you want to have the most on your island retreat?

[From Life, June 23, 1961, big version over here.] 

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Why don't they have cool contests like this any more? I protest!
__
Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

TheSnackHound said...

I am relieved. I thought I would have to pay property taxes on the island if I won.

Tori Lennox said...

I think I watch too much TV. To me, it looks like that plane is on the verge of crashing on the island very similar to the plane that crashed on an island in Lost.....

Amanda said...

On my island trip I would need my hubby and warm running water.

On a side note, Pleasure Island sounds like some kind of swingers' retreat.

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

I agree with Tori: I thought "It's episode 1 of Lost!" too. :)

I really need some Dr Pepper now!

Kath Lockett said...

Gertrude needs the money to take her boyfriend to the skin clinic for a check up - he's radiation orange!

Mr. Stupid said...

Wow. This is awesome. Though, I wonder what the winners did with a tropical island. Maybe they had a jungle party with friends... hehe

JD at I Do Things said...

Mmmm. I haven't had a Dr. Pepper in years. Still, I choose good ol' water, 'cuz it's calorie-free! (and diet soft drinks are wrong).

I'd need to buy a Kindle, bring my iPod, my cats, books in case the Kindle broke, and that's about it.

Soon I'll be a happy orange person dodging giant airplanes!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Oh, wow.... now you got me. Questions? LOL. I'm thinking beach and palm trees. And an internet connection!