Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Sphinx Who Liked Underwear

Oh, hello. Hey! Excusez moi.

I think there's something in here with me and - I must have had too much Sanka last night. I think it's saying something. Try not to panic, Carruthers. Stay calm. I have my Manhattan underwear on. I can cope with any situation!

Ahem! Yes, right behind you, cookie. May I ask where you got your underwear?

How - what - how did a sarcophagus get into my tent?

Ooh, a riddle! I love those. Because actually, according to this ad, I am a Sphinx. Yay, riddles! OK, How did a sarcophagus get into your tent? Let me see...To get to the other side? Um...the backstroke, sir? Yes, we serve anyone?

[silence]

Hey, you're one of the quiet ones! I like that. Well, kinda. Because I get a little bored in here and I like to hear the sound of my own voice. Tee hee! Come here often? On a little archaeological dig, are we? Or maybe you're just posing for an underwear ad. Yeah, that's it. Hey, me too. We got plenty in common, mister. I can just tell!

Why - why do you want to know about my underwear? Surely you don't - you don't wear -

Aww, hey, none of your beeswax, Mr. Cheeky! I just wanna know. I'm curious! And also so when I go shopping next I can look out for a quality brand like - Manhattan, did you say?

Y - yes.

Cute doggie design, too. Isn't that a little doggie on the leg? Lemme ask you a cute riddle about a doggie I just heard. What kind of a doggie really loves to take baths? Huh? Give up?

I - I don't know. I can't talk to you anymore. I am going to sidle away very slowly now.

A shampoodle, silly! Tee hee. You can sidle away if you like. But I think I'll come along too. I got me some wheels on the bottom of my case- wait'll you see me pop a wheelie. Race you to the door!

[From Life, April 30, 1956. The design is supposed to be "clever puzzle pieces" but I'm seeing a bloodhound, actually. What do you think?]

17 comments:

Georgina said...

I don't get the puzzle pieces thing either. I just see a hound on his boxers...which leads to the next obvious question: Why is it a Hound and not a Boxer on his shorts? - G

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

That may be the creepiest ad Ive ever seen. Im not sure why exactly, maybe the eyes but...shiver.

Barbara said...

It kinda looks like he stained his boxers. An unfortunate accident, but not unexpected when you find a sphinx in your tent.
_____
Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

Dee said...

If he's The Sphinx, he must be "terribly mysterious."

Eric said...

Hmm... The underwear sphinx to high heaven?

I don't know it's all kind of weird, invoking talking sarcophogii and such to sell underpants.

JD at I Do Things said...

What the . . .

Boy, your imaginary (I hope) conversation really nailed the tone of this ad, which is perhaps one of the strangest EVER.

WHY, oh, why is that sphinx/sarcophagus staring at that guy in his underwear? WHY the picture of the dog? Why . . . oh, so many questions. None of which I really want answered.

Lidian said...

Georgina - Yes, a boxer would have been just the sort of dog to put on boxer shorts.

Tracy - Yeah, it is really a weird ad! I was truly taken aback when I saw it (whatever that means!)

Barbara - Yes, that is a distinct possibility, which I am choosing not to explore ;)

Dee - This whole ad is terribly mysterious.

Eric - It really is a strange connection. Or rather, no connection at all, really.

JD - Maybe it is a series! I will see what other ads Manhattan came up with (the underwear people, of course, not the city, though you never know)

Tori Lennox said...

I thought it was a basset hound. Either way, it's weird. This whole ad is weird. What were they ad men smoking when they came up with this one???

Bill said...

Mr. Cheeky???
Is he wearing the boxer-front/thong-back style of undergarment?

Barbara said...

A Basset hound? Hush puppie undies? That's just weird.

Heh, my verification word is Gertl. Get it? Girdle?

vanilla said...

Looks like a basset to me.

Mr. Stupid said...

Shampoodle? hehe BTW, even my cousin loves to take a bath. He should perfectly fit in this puzzle.

Coming back to the ad, this is hilarious. First off, a sphinx, a dog and an underwear all in one?

Loved the post, have a great day!:)

Relax Max said...

Can you really sidle away? I thought you could only sidle up to someone.

Lidian said...

Tori - I think they were chewing Beechnut Peppermint Gum.

Bill - He may be, which would help explain his expression.

Barbara - Also a German 50s underwear model (I am kidding)

vanilla - Probably is, I am no good at canine identification, lol

Mr S - I found that riddle on one of the surprisingly numerous dog riddle sites.

Max - This guy can sidle away, all right.

Amanda said...

Why on earth is this guy in basset hound undies, undressing in front of a creppy sarcophagus? I would have to put this as a 10 on the creep-o-meter

Nomad said...

Iffin it had been a cocker spaniel then, maybe he might have used it as a pickup line at a very sleazy joint. As it is, asking a woman if she'd like to see a Basset hound in his trousers just seems rather nutty.

Cari Hislop said...

Where I come from 'hound dog' refers to an oversexed young man. I don't know what the manufacturers were thinking, but putting a dog right over the part where the men/males 'dress to the left' (unless it's the right and the photo's been switched) is just so tacky. Maybe this was the 20's equivalent of joke pants for college
frat boys...that might explain the young woman stuffed in the sarcophagus! Maybe it's a giant cake and she's waiting to jump out...no that's just creepy.