Saturday, February 20, 2010

Touché, Trushay!


Mind that plate, won't you, while you're checking out your manicure. And just so you know, an early model (i.e., Pre-Rhinestone-Age) Liberace is lurking there behind you. I have a different take on the Efficient You versus the Enchanting You, though:

Efficient Me:

I stumble into the kitchen in old jeans and a T shirt and cardigan. Observe that there are dishes in the sink, a cat meowing in front of its food and water (which look fine to me, but not to her), and all sorts of stuff on the table. What is that stuff, anyway? Huh. Maybe I should do those dishes. Maybe I should think about dinner. I look in the fridge and wonder what's in the plastic containers. What's for dinner, what, what? Try and think. But I am busy thinking about mystery plotlines and something I saw in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle in 1883 and how we're almost out of laundry detergent and - aw, forget it...

Enchanting Me:

Hey, I "want to look my best for a BIG evening." Sure, why not? What's that, anyway? Takeout sushi and the Olympics on TV, probably. Maybe I will wear my formal jeans (no patches) and that T shirt I got secondhand that says "Vancouver 2010" on it. I could try and find that T shirt, I guess. I think it's in a drawer somewhere. And I am supposed to use Trushay hand lotion, because it will make me look Enchanting. Cannot find any Trushay lotion, as it is from 1950s. Will make do with whatever is around house. St. Ives is around, I think. Not enchanting, but it probably works. Wander off stage right, hunting for takeout menu and hand lotion.

[1950 ad is from Ad Access, where there's a big version.]

15 comments:

TheWordWire said...

My cat is crying in front of his full bowl right now. And that's the only thing about efficient you I can relate to.

So you know, there's a whole museum dedicated to Liberace here in Vegas. Not many artifacts from the Pre-rhinestone days. You've found a rare photo.

Have a great day!

Midcenturymadam said...

Maybe if we had someplace exciting to go to after dinner, we'd be more inclined to "hurry through the dishes" and pull out the elegant outfits. Nahhh, probably not.

Georgina said...

How did my cat end up at your house? She is always doing that! I think she has a hollow tail because I don't know where all that food that I give her goes! - G

scottsabode said...

Formal jeans! Love the ad.

Lidian said...

TheWordWire - Yes, it is a rare early picture!

Midcenturymadam - What she is wearing on the left is pretty dressy for dishwashing, I think.

Georgina - The cats, bless them, are so hard to please - and they consider me to be a tragic combination of Inefficient and Unenchanting ;)

scottsabode - It is a fun ad! And I think there's another in the series over at Ad Access (the split screen thing appealed to Trushay).

Tori Lennox said...

I think I'd steer clear of lotion from the 1950s even if you had found some. By this time, it might have unintended consequences that aren't at all enchanting to your hands.

Mr. Stupid said...

The lotion guards her hand in hot soapy water? This only means that the soapy water needs to be made better... lol
Maybe there's a Soap ad which claims to ruin hands guarded by lotion...

Nice post. Loved it...:)

The Accessory Lady said...

I really like the ad. It looks like she's saying: "Who Me? Perfect? No!"
Olympics in the menu for me as well. No sushi though, just lefties. :-)

Relax Max said...

Lotion to protect your hands even in hot soapy water. No truth in advertising back then any more than today. (Results not typical.)

The "Double Life" was a series of ads, I found, and in another one Liberace gets up close and personal. Hot.

heidi said...

I find you efficently enchanting, btw! Har.

Shieldmaiden96 said...

The lotion may protect her hands but NOTHING keeps your manicure from being ruined, unless the awesomely extra toxic nail polish of the 50's was somehow better than what we have now. If you like it then you better put a glove on it, girlfriend.

Shieldmaiden96 said...

The lotion may protect her hands but NOTHING keeps your manicure from being ruined, unless the awesomely extra toxic nail polish of the 50's was somehow better than what we have now. If you like it then you better put a glove on it, girlfriend.

Lidian said...

Tori - Yes, who knows what it would be like now!

Mr. S - Yeah, it probably stops working when she moves away from the sink...

The A.L. - What is a leftie? Please do tell!

Max - That would put me right off Trushay!

heidi - Harhar, not if you could see me! ;)

Shieldmaiden96 - Yeah, where are her rubber gloves?

Bill said...

Is it just me, or is there something slightly terrifying about her enchanting hand? It kinda pops out at you, doesn't it? It looks abnormally large. Is it a Man Hand? A Liberace Hand???
No, I'm sure it's all in my head. A bunch of us went to a drag show brunch this past weekend, and now I'm seeing wolves in sheep's clothing wherever I turn.

Marcheline said...

Lotion to protect your hands even in hot, soapy water? Sure! It's called WAX. Permanent wax. Won't come off in hot, soapy water, so that means you'll never be able to open another door or remove another jar lid for the rest of your natural life. And you can kiss those contact lenses goodbye, too.