Friday, February 5, 2010

Unsettling Coca Cola Ads Know No Season, Either

[ice cold refreshing Friday haiku] 

Come in, everyone.
Because thirst knows no season
And you must want Coke.

Oh, I think I'll pass.
This brand of real refreshment
Frightens me a lot.

This soda minion
Drank too much Cola, too fast -
Hence the mad stare

Of that strange being -
Retro Benjamin Button,
Jonesing for caffeine,

What chemical change
Will come over those folks
Who visit that soda

Fountain of unrest,
Where real refreshment awaits
And something more, too - ?

[From Life, February 23, 1949; as  we all often say: I don't know what they were thinking. But it doesn't exactly make me want to rush out and order a Coca Cola.]

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Jeez, that's creepy! A hopped up soda jerk with white hair and a head bigger than the fountain itself.

Yeah, I'd be walking past this soda shop quickly, lest the leprechaun cast a spell on me!

___
Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

Tori Lennox said...

I think I'd rather get my Coke in one of those cute little glass bottles from the grocery store...

tahtimbo said...

That is creepy! He could give the Burger King "King" a run for his money :)

Eric said...

Some ad agency was over influenced by the 'Cold Miser' from the 'Year Without Santa Claus', I think.

I'll just call em the 'Coke Miser'.

vanilla said...

That is eerie. May be why I bought my Pepsi at the grocery store. Five cents, twelve ounces!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

"Fountain of unrest"

No kidding! I won't sleep tonight now that I've seen that terrifying goblin! :)

Mr. Stupid said...

That was scary. I think water would do good for me... lol
Well, he sure did drink too much of Cola. And the scary stare... hehe

Have a wonderful weekend...:)

Lidian said...

Barbara - Yeah, I don't think he gets much business.

Tori - Absolutely!

Tim - And Ronald McDonald, too. I always found him unsettling.

Eric - That's very good!

vanilla - It is much better at the grocery store.

Mr S - I believe he's the only customer, and that explains a lot (though not all)

Lidian said...

Richard - Yes, this I has to be one of the worst ways to sell a soft drink, ever.

Bill said...

I looked at this last night, and was mute with horror. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares. This is certainly an example of When Ads Go Wrong. This may not be the Edsel of advertisements, but it sure comes close.

Your verse, of course, is flawless.

Sue said...

That guy does look creepy. Plus I didn't know the word "jonesing" was around back then. Weird.

Shay said...

Eeew, yes. Seriously creepy.

prashant said...

That is creepy! He could give the Burger King "King" a run for his money :)

Work from home India