Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Cerealist

I plan to stay put,
And not come out of my tree
Until breakfast's done.

Sure, Eggs Benedict
And assorted fresh muffins
Are a nice daydream -

But must everyone
Stare at me with weird bright eyes
Expecting pancakes

And not just pancakes
But also Belgian waffles,
Strawberries and cream,

Pastries decanted
From some mythical oven -
Seriously, folks!

Low expectations
Make for much better mornings:
Grab a teeny box,

Behold: Post Toasties!
Flakes of Corn and of Grape Nuts!
And do not ask me

Why no Grapes or Nuts
Any funny talk like that
And you shall be toast -

Then I'll be going
Back up to my tree again -
Must grab coffee first.

[Life, July 25, 1949.]

6 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

What exactly IS a grape nut anyway???

RNSANE said...

Very cute...and I've eaten grape nuts!

Bill said...

Yeah, our kitchen table was outside, too, when I was little. Mom said it made cleaning up after meals much easier, but it sure was cold in the winter months.

Until we landscaped with cacti and brought the warmth of the desert to our own God's Little Acre. What a stroke of genius! Like these folks, we kept the deciduous trees & lush lawn near the house, just to remind ourselves that we lived on the East Coast. It looked odd, but it worked for us.

IludiumPhosdex said...

Not many are aware of this, but Post Toasties were originally marketed as "Elijah's Manna."

Until a number of Fundamentalist religious objected rather noisily to the idea of invoking the Old Testament prophet to sell breakfast cereal ... not to mention England refusing to extend trademark protection.

Lidian said...

Tori - You know, I have never had any, but I believe they involve wheat and malt. Could be wrong though.

Carmen - I never have, but you never know...

Bill - LOL!

IludiumPhosdex - I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

Marcheline said...

Um... looks like the girl in the green dress is having a "Sally Draper moment" with that wall. There is such a thing as getting a little too excited in public...