Thursday, March 18, 2010

My New Pencil Pal

Back in the day, this was all you needed to be popular in grade school. Apparently. And it does look sort of fun, but aren't these children a little old for toy pencil sharpeners? And where is the teacher while this is going on? I know that most of my grade school teachers would not have stood for all this pencil-sharpening fun.

This does not look like an open classroom, which is the only place I can imagine a scene like this. But my open classroom (4th grade, circa 1971) had no desks, because that wasn't groovy. You had to move around the room doing whatever you felt like doing and fill in a contract at the end of each week saying what you did. I played Monopoly mostly. Didn't need a pencil for that.

Actually, I would have loved a Snoopy pencil sharpener. I can tell you one thing though: I would have kept it at home. Because my friends would have laughed their heads off and teased me for the rest of the year for lugging a TOY to school.

I did have a piggy bank that looked exactly like this pencil sharpener - still have it, except the rubber plug at the bottom, which was where you got your money out eventually, has disintegrated, thus rendering it useless as a financial tool.

I would also like to know why the hero of the ad has short sleeves in the beginning and long sleeves after that - it looks like the same shirt otherwise. Did he have some sort of tailoring mishap involving the pencil sharpener? Yeah, I have no idea what that means either.

Many thanks to Comic Book Ads for this one, which is probably from the early 1970s.

15 comments:

Beth (Margie and Edna's Basement) said...

Lidian, up until now I've enjoyed your "antique" ads, because they've been...well, so quaintly retro. Not to mention, from time periods that I cannot recall (i.e., "pre-Me"). But, you've officially crossed a line here because I remember seeing this one in the comic books I read as a child. Thanks for making me feel old, I guess I'm now officially "retro."

I have to say, as many times as I looked at that ad in my old comic books, I never noticed the change in sleeve length. And no teacher I ever had would have let us have so much fun with a toy pencil sharpener. Apparently the kids I went to school with were much less hip than your classmates, because unveiling one of those things in the classroom would have caused a pencil-sharpening riot that would have been impossible for the teacher to contain.

Bill said...

Good eye, Lidian.
I also notice that the chalkboard says "elling" but it appears to be a math lesson.

Amanda said...

I would have loved a Snoopy pencil sharpener as a kid. Not sure what happened to the kids sleeves.

Tori Lennox said...

Hey, I've got one of those Snoopy banks too!

Eric said...

Gosh, I'll bet no one has a patent on a tree trunk sharpener to put inside a real life sized dog house!!! I'm gonna make one of those this weekend and then 'Stockade Citadel' here I come !!!

vanilla said...

So the rubber plug disintegrated in you personal financial reservoir, too.

Lidian said...

Beth - Next time I'll try and find an ad from the 20s or 30s and we will both enjoy feeling quite youthful! (I agree, this ad was a little close to my youth as well)

Bill - I believe that elling is something like geometry, only more obscure.

Tori - My favorite Snoopy item was an electric toothbrush (Snoopy was the handle) - it was very low-tech compared to the ones you get now, of course.

Eric - That is a sensational idea!

Lidian said...

vanilla - Yes, pretty much. But considering that allowances weren't that much back then, it probably didn't matter.

Venom said...

Um, you think a Snoopy sharpener in fourth grade would invite ridicule? Just try being happy about a Mickey Mouse record player when you're 11! No one else thought it was cool at all...

Shay said...

(sigh). Back in the day, nobody felt the pressure to be popular until junior high.

fullet said...

Hi, Lidian, I've given you a little award in my blog, I hope you don't mind :). Thanks for the fun!

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I had one of those! I never took it to school though; I loved the hand crank pencil sharpener mounted on the doorframe with the lock in place adjustable pencil guide too much. I loved using it and I loved emptying it. Nothing in this world sharpens a pencil better than one of those.

Relax Max said...

My 4th grade was a little more structured than yours. But today I get to move from thing to thing as I choose and only do what I like. I'm doing exactly what I want to do right now, as a matter of fact. :)

Relax Max said...

Obviously the kid felt like changing his shirt.

Lidian said...

Venom - The pencil sharpener was probably marginally cooler ;)

Shay - I remember that. It was nice. And lucky for me, too.

fullet - Thanks! I don't really actively pass on awards but always like to say thank you on my blog :)

Shieldmaiden96 - Wow, that does sound good! The bank was nice, too, while it lasted.

Max - Pretty well anyone's 4th grade class was more structured than mine. My parents were NOT happy, believe me. And then the next year we had a super strict teacher who made us do math all day and said we were the worst class she'd ever seen (and she'd been at our school for about 300 years so that was saying something)