Sunday, March 7, 2010

Nothing Rallie Happens

The lady pictured here, like thousands of other women (and men) across the country, is practising a new, simple, safe and altogether delightful method of figure and health culture that has put the old, arduous "daily dozen"* right out of fashion.

Well, if it works for a two-dimensional line drawing, it'll work for you. Obviously! And it really does look altogether delightful, wearing a bunch of cords around your midsection and pulling them nice and tight. Sure, that is just what will get us all back into shape.

Here is a method of gentle self-massage that will fascinate you.

Umm - OK. Steady on there, Rallie Health Appliances! Let's not wander off into the byways of "fascinating self-massage." I am sure that you did not proofread this. You just meant that we will  "ease the inches away."

Ta-ta, inches! Maybe they get so fascinated that they wander off across the room to read the FREE illustrated booklet that comes with the Rallie Massage Belt. Although I think that it is quite clear what you do with it: you yank on the cords! Because it is actually a corset.

But what happens when you let go of those cords? You probably turn into a human boomerang. Now that's fascinating and delightful!

From a lovely British magazine called My Home, December 1955 - right next to the ad for mince pie drenched in Bird's Custard!

*These must be strenuous, not-altogether-delightful exercises.

7 comments:

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

I like the "Your Good Figure Regained" part. It implies that I once had a good figure.

Midcenturymadam said...

Yes, I would like to order one Rallie Health Appliance and a mince pie. Please put the mince pie in the appliance and shoot it over to me as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

Tori Lennox said...

I was interested in this "slimming" product until I realized it was basically a corset. And not a very pretty one either. Thanks but no thanks.

Mimi said...

Ooooh! I love, love, love these retro dieting ads. Fascinating and delightful is always so much better than dieting and drudgery. Man, I would love to get my hands on that illustrated instruction booklet...

Barbara said...

Really? No one went the way of the "method of gentle self-massage that will fascinate you"?? Really?
__
Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

Lidian said...

Dr. Julie-Ann - That is a nice touch!

Midcenturymadam - That sounds like a plan to me ;)

Tori - And one you have to hold the reins of, too. Too much work!

Mimi - I love them too! I collect old diet books, they are SO much fun.

Barbara - Maybe some people did, they must have...

Marcheline said...

Ahh... the precursor to Peggy Olsen's vibrating weight loss machine!