Thursday, April 8, 2010

Beyond the Floress

Now you too can order Mary Jane Fox's foxy prom-queen makeup secret, Floress: the New Fluorescent Lipstick.

The magazine ad for Floress tells us that you can "change your lips with glistening color drama" (that's all I can make out).  The comic ad uses exactly the same phrase so I guess someone liked the sound of it. In the daytime you got highlights on your lips, and at night? "A glow like burning embers." Wow, that does sound attractive. I always wanted my mouth to look like burning embers!

And speaking of burning, here's a burning question: what exactly are the qualifications for Prom Queen? Why is a boy in a red Boy Scout scarf making all the rules? And why does Mary Jane look like a 35 year old bar girl after a long shift at the Chickaboom Room?

Mary Jane and  her minions are from Tom Heroes Comic Book Ads (there are all kinds of great things here). And the non-comic-book Floress ad is from over here (not sure where they got it though).

And the silly punning title? From the classic Bette Davis movie Beyond the Forest (1949). The Floress model seems to be using the same head-tilt and sultry expression as Bette, by the way (though she really ought to lose the red bow and black-olive clip-on earrings, I think).

9 comments:

1950's_atomic_ranch_house said...

You simply cannot find that deep 1940's movie star red lipstick any more...

Maybe they made it from the blood of the prop guys hee hee...

Barbara said...

Radiated color? Was it filled with uranium? Chickaboom Room? You crack me up!!

Needless To Say said...

Did I read correctly "ignite every costume"? I think I want to know what Florium is or was!

Eric said...

'why does Mary Jane look like a 35 year old '
I think young people looked older back then. Or, maybe just more responsible?

Tori Lennox said...

I love that it comes in a wide variety of SIX colors. Wow! That'll match every outfit you own!

Bossy Betty said...

I so totally want some florescent lipstick!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

*Flourescent" lipstick!!!!????

Make it look like your lips are on fire?

What an awesome product! :)

Lidian said...

1950s Atomic Ranch House - That would be wild!

Barbara - The radiated color worries me, too.

Needless To Say - Well, but it is recommended by 4 out of 5 chemists.

Eric - Or maybe it's the lipstick.

Tori - I think they change colors somehow, maybe - but yeah, six is not a lot.

Bossy Betty - It would be fun, in the right situation (cannot think of what that might be though). Also a great conversation starter - Hey, did you know my lipstick is irradiated? (No, but if you play a few bars...)

Richard - Yes, another awesome postwar product!

Amy said...

Maybe the boy has a vested interest in the lipstick? Is he running an underground cosmetic scheme to earn money or perhaps he secretly wears it himself