Thursday, April 1, 2010

The File and the Pile

Oh, Professor Dickson, how did you know? That is exactly what my brain looks like - a pile of stuff, all - well, piled up.

But I was never any good with the card files in the library - way back before computers, that was, children - I found them dismal and confusing. So turning my head into one would not work out for me.

I know just how the man with the Pile in his head feels, though. That is just the expression I have when I am trying to think of something to write.

Speaking of piles, I have several on my desk. But I know exactly what is in every one of them! I have my own organizational system. A Pile  - Not a File, that's what we can call it.

Summoned to give facts and figures - does your mind become a blank?

Why yes, sometimes. But that may be because it makes me a trifle nervous when I am summoned.

I will try to remember to send away for your book, though, Professor. I really will. But I may draw a blank on that one. Gosh, I knew there was something I meant to do!

[Long-winded ad is from Popular Science, February 1926; the little one is from the same magazine, January 1920. And you'll be happy to note that the Dickson School of Memory was located in, where else, Chicago.]

3 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Personally, I think I'd rather keep my files in a file cabinet but that's just me.

Barbara said...

Dang, that's my problem! I'm just one big pile, not a filing system.

It does appear that you have to lose hair for this product though, so I'll pass.

Relax Max said...

I think the Dickson School of Memory exists in Henry's mind. And in boxes of books in the garage. But, gosh, he IS a prof. So.