Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spaghetti That Sings

If spaghetti could sing
Would I want it on my plate?
Would I make it a duet?
Would I say its voice was great?

Perhaps it is the soup
That's pretending to be sauce
That is making that commotion
For it senses some remorse

On the part of the spaghetti
That's subjected to regroup
In incongruous congress
With a can of Campbell's Soup.

A can of soup is not a sauce
Entirely on its own
It could be a sauce ingredient
But should not sit alone

On a platter full of pasta
Soup is merely a resource
In a sauce amalgamation
And should never try to force

Itself to act so saucy
Though all ready in a jiffy*:
No wonder it's a singer, too:
This sauce gig's looking iffy.

[From Retro Ads and Graphics.]

*A jiffy is the amount of time it takes light to travel one centimeter; this term was made up by a chemist named Gilbert Newton Lewis, I don't know why. Maybe it was his nickname.

10 comments:

Georgina said...

Tomato soup as a sauce base? You might as well use ketchup if you are in that much of a hurry. To me the only difference between ketchup and condensed tomato soup is that one comes in a can and the other in a bottle.
I love your factoid about the jiffy. I'd like to post it in my blog and I'll reference you of course. Hope you are having a great weekend! - G

The Prince of Centraxis said...

The sauciness of your report
Is amplified by my wild thought
That everything we've learned or taught
May all have only been for naught.

Nice ditty there. Must be a day for doggerel; I wrote some myself at http://hermetic.blog.com

Tori Lennox said...

Soup as a sauce? Okaaaay.

Barbara said...

Retch!
I just got a bunch of Woman's Day magazines from 1938 to 1942 and one recipe for spaghetti was to make meatballs with hamburger, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs, cook them in a can of tomatoes, then pour over spaghetti. mmmmmm Spicy!
Bland food must have been the mode of the day!

Kath Lockett said...

Sadly my own mother used to use a tin of Campbell's tomato soup as the 'base' for her version of 'spaghetti bolognese' in the 1970s ~shudder~

But the photo in this advertisment here - so bright! My eyes hurt!

Bossy Betty said...

Oh yes. My mom did the same thing to innocent spaghetti!

Francy said...

Soup as sauce? Lol. I just found your blog, and really enjoy it! I'm excited to follow!

pixiedrivien.blogspot.com

Lidian said...

Georgina - Yes, this veers awfully close to ketchup as sauce...

Prince of Cetraxis - I love doggerel, and am off to check yours out anon (as soon as I finish replying to these comments). Your verse is terrific, and I thank you for it :)

Tori - Yeah, quite.

Barbara - I don't know what they were all thinking back then...

Kath - We used to eat spaghetti from a can, I believe, which is no far off this (perhaps a step down, in fact).

Betty - Well, it is handy, I guess. As was canned spaghetti, ahem.

Francy - Thank you! :) And I love your blog too!

Bill said...

Gee. Singing spaghetti. Sauce made with soup.
Thanks for inviting me, but I'll have to take a raincheck.

belaglik said...

I can't believe how many people have never heard of using condensed soups as a sauce! Y'all have got to spend more time in trailer parks!