Monday, May 17, 2010

The 900 Calorie Diet Drink

A 900 calorie drink? I think we've blown the diet right there, actually.

What they mean, when you get down to the small print, is that a quart of this stuff is 900 calories and you slurp on it throughout the day. And that's it.

But the way the sentence reads, it sounds like one glassful of drink. Can you imagine what they'd have to put in a drink to make it 900 calories? A quart of Haagen Dazs. And Devonshire cream. Oh, and don't forget the melted chocolate truffles.

But seriously, Borden's was just ahead of its time. You just know they're inventing the frappuccino version of this at Starbucks right this second, just in time for summer.

[From Life, June 2, 1961, big version here.]

10 comments:

Keith said...

Hello. I hope this finds you doing well. I've been on a blogging hiatus since the beginning of the year, so it's been quite some time since I've been around to visit some blogs. I'm back from my break now. I wanted to make sure to visit your blog. I enjoyed checking out the latest posts on your blog. Great job. I'm back blogging now myself. I hope you'll take a look at what I'm doing. Thanks. Take care. Have a great week.

Bossy Betty said...

I would like two please. Then I am all done eating/drinking for the day.

Bill said...

I hope they didn't place this product right next to Tab.

Perhaps they should change the tag line from Look for the special gold carton to Look for the special gold coffin because, really, who is going to sip on just one of these all day?

Tori Lennox said...

Since when is happiness something you can TASTE?

Lidian said...

Keith - I just visited you, so glad to see you back! (and will update you on my blogroll...)

Betty - Yes, it will save lots of cooking time, which is a plus in my book.

Bill - The gold carton is probably the best part.

Tori - Since Borden's started shilling diet drinks, I guess.

Mimi said...

I wonder what the flavor was? Mackerel? Pimento?

fullet said...

LOL, it surely tastes good.
She looks like Anna Galiena, a lovely italian actress (but it's not her, fortunately!): http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrity/photos/anna-galiena.htm

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

I vote its a cup of motor oil

Keith said...

Hey there. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I really appreciate it. I'm very excited to be back blogging. It's also great to be able to check out blogs like yours that I like a lot. Take care. I hope the rest of your week is wonderful.

Sharon said...

Boy, this was a flashback! Anyone else old enough to remember "Metrecal?" Check out this video http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/6319/TV_Commercial_for_Metrecal__the_First_Diet_Drink/