Friday, June 11, 2010

The Accidental Wine Expert

Well, the boss is coming to dinner and everyone is nervous. Maybe he won't like the dinner. Maybe he'll fire Jim because he hates the dinner! Better distract him from the tuna noodle casserole with some fancy schmancy wine. So you'd better become a Wine Expert in a hurry. You've got - oh, say five minutes. Luckily you also happen to have a bottle of Virginia Dare wine in the back of the cupboard so you will be all right.And naturally the boss in the cartoon is very, very impressed: "I didn't know you were a wine expert, Harry!" Indeed. Anyway, here is the giant version so you can follow the exciting (predictable) story of how Harry and Madame Harry - merely by slapping a bottle of Virginia Dare wine on the table -advance Harry's career. Because so few people (says the boss) know about "gracious living." And about the "wonderful wines we make in America." Good thing they didn't bring out the Beaujolais, right? Hic!...Anyway, this is all one paragraph because my Blogger thing is not indenting for me this morning and I want to  post this before I get back to work - a fabulous combo of vacuuming and writing dossiers on my main mystery-novel characters. And thank you again for your comments and I apologize for being such a lousy slacker answering/returning them. I will have to make a New Week's Resolution on Monday or something (I just discovered my Microsoft Calendar so whom knows, I might even get organized next week!)

Oh, now's it is indenting. OK, we'll indent over here. If I do jump over to a new blog I will let you know, but still hanging around here for now. As you see. And now the Microsoft Calendar is calling me to hurry up. Which means, according to the Virginia Dare ad, that I am not a grape. Good to know!




16 comments:

Georgina said...

Is that a screw-top cap? Class-eee! Actually, screw-top caps are en vogue again up with all the BC wineries because there's been a run on cork ever since people started laying their floors with it. - G

Bossy Betty said...

I am so going to try this to advance my career. I'll let you know how it goes.

JD at I Do Things said...

Phhhttt. The boss even says Virginia Dare is "known as America's finest wine," so why wouldn't Harry already know about it?

Maybe I'm getting too involved in these stories.

Barbara said...

The boss makes no comment about the wife's cooking, so she must be replaced.

Imagine what would have happened if Jim had picked up Thunderbird instead...

Mimi said...

Is it me, or does that wine look like pee?

(I don't mean to rhyme)

Steve said...

Let's hope the boss doesn't ever ask about any other wine ever, because this guy will be sunk. "Zinfa-what? I thought it had a nice aroma and bouquet."

Hairball T. Hairball said...

I agree with Mimi and don't want any fermented urine products. Can I just drink out of the garden hose instead?

Thanks!

scottsabode said...

Who knew gracious living could start on a supermarket shelf!

DrJulieAnn said...

My father found that Boones Farm did the trick for him as far as the job security thing goes. He worked at a VERY conservative Baptist school where drinking wasn't allowed (hence the lack of wine knowledge), so he never shared it with his boss. He just took a glass with him into his study after he got home from work. Amazing how well cheap wine works to ease work-related stress!

youhana said...

Nice

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

That's what you do if you're scared your boss won't like the food: get him completely drunk on wine that looks like gatoraid! :)

sassafrasjunction said...

Virginia Dare looks to be made of Chanel No. 5, scotch and urine.

But I'm not a wine expert, so what the hell do I know?

idon said...

great

Shay said...

I wonder what it tastes like mixed with ginger ale....

Anonymous said...

I like your blog !!Thank you. They are really great .
do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!
Fashion watches
Discount watches
Antique pocket watches
Engraved pocket watches
pocket watch

Relax Max said...

I'm still wondering what the heck Virginia Dare had to do with wine or why anyone would name a wine after her. But maybe I am delving too deeply.