Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Seam and Nothingness

Oh, that depends, does it not, on one's definition of  "something nice." Guys standing under you looking up your dress is not what most women would call nice, is it? Back to the drawing board, ad guys!

So hello after a week! Yeah, here we are...I'll be keeping an eye out for ads, but just not every day (I think you guessed about that, right?). If you follow me on Twitter (and please do, I promise to write more funny 140-character poems in the near future!) - then you know I am presently: writing That Mystery Novel and thinking about What Now regarding blogging: a writing blog? A new ad blog? A blog about the weird Victorian novels I am reading (they go so nicely with writing a Victorian mystery, you know, and are such fun - about 100 years ago I was doing graduate work in the Victorian sensation novel so this is wonderful to go back to).

I also created a (now empty) blog called The Mystery Machine because I thought it was a great blog title but...it is empty! Maybe it will become a writing blog. I'll let you know. And I'm going to try and catch up with your blogs, too, over the next days. I'm not gone, in other words - just a little bit tired (this is my 803rd post, would you believe, and that does not include 700+ history posts, yikes!).

[The peculiar stockings ad is from Life, December 3, 1956.]

10 comments:

Mimi said...

I have missed you!!!

Georgina said...

I was thinking the same thing about that ad. Damn creeps! Maybe instead of calling it advertising they should call it pervertising.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your new projects...so many possibilities! - G

JD at I Do Things said...

Welcome back!

Wow, I was just patting myself on the back for reaching 300 posts. Now I feel kind of inadequate.

Congrats on all your new and exciting ventures. I would definitely read The Mystery Machine, should it ever develop.

Eric said...

Haha, this reminds me of a story my college roommate in the dorm told me about Bruce Willis. Roommate Tom was doing commercials and happened to be at a party with Bruce and they were small talking. Tom noticed Bruce was distracted and had positioned himself at the bottom of the staircase of the fancy home they were at so he could get the best view. Awesome.

I mean, sure, who wouldn't look at an attractive lady's legs? But only the Bruce Willis types go out of their way to do so.

Bill said...

I'm intrigued by the idea of the empty blog. It's a sort of ultimate liberum arbitrium to create it but allow the concept to remain unfulfilled.

James MacAdam said...

Glad to have you back, Lidian! Considering how many truly "empty" blogs are out there, yours by the name alone (nice Scooby reference) has more panache, vim and verve -qualities we associate with everything you do!

Cheers,
James

Lidian said...

Mimi - Thanks, Mimi! I just went over to your blog to catch up :)

Georgina - I probably need to make some lists, it usually helps, lol. I am looking forward to catching up with your blog, I love everything you write :)

JD - I will pat you on the back for sure for 300!

Eric - That's a good story, and for some reason the staircase made me think of Gone With the Wind - only Clark Gable would NEVER do that!

Bill - It IS intriguing...and off-putting, because what does one put in it? No idea, yet.

James - Thank you! And I want to catch up with your two wonderful blogs, too. I have been reading but need to comment more :)

mick said...

This is a great blog, and I really enjoy it - but must your really add your brand of humor to every post? After awhile, it just gets tiresome, rather than clever. You might find other ways to comment on each post...it would make for a lot better reading.
Just a suggestion...

DrJulieAnn said...

Silly me. I thought the purpose of your blog was to add your brand of humor to every post. That's why I enjoy it so much!

For those that don't enjoy your humor, there are plenty of resources available for people who just want to look at odd ads without the great commentary.

Lidian said...

Dr Julie-Ann - Thank you :)