Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The News In Salads

If this is the news in salads, then I really do not want to know any more. Calico is fabric. It is not good to eat, even if you place it in front of a forest of artificial trees. Even the lemon slices in the iced tea glasses are giving it the side eye, which is tough when you are a lemon slice.

The top news story is (apparently) that mayonnaise is a key element in any really good meal in 1958. You must pipe it on top of your ghastly pink gelatin molds. And the little garnishes around the edge of the plate must not be untainted, either.

And then there's other news. Oh, I guess it's been awhile, hasn't it? Yeah. So hi, how are you all doing? Many thanks to my pal Dr. Julie-Ann (whose fabulous blog is here) for checking up on me - I'm fine, but things have been busy here and will be until later this month... and I've totally rethought my mystery novel and am considering starting a writing blog to go with it, full of the odd history things I'll be writing about plus the odd book review maybe and so on.

I do actually miss dear old Kitsch and Retro though after 800!! posts I was needing to step back a little. So maybe what I'll be doing is updating here regularly but not every every day, and working on the writing/history blog (maybe) -

I will check in with everyone over the next few weeks, especially starting at the end of next week.

I think this ad is from Life magazine but since this was a draft post from a month ago it is a mystery to me. Yes, I could go look it up but it is just too hot to get that organized (and why, by the way, are weather people SO happy when the air turns into a sauna?).

Also a mystery: the difference between that jar of Salad Dressing and the Mayonnaise. Oh wait, here we go - I think it is what they call Salad Cream in Britain. I don't think the Calico Slaw requires any Salad Dressing though, do you?

12 comments:

vanilla said...

Great to see that you're back!

Difference between mayonnaise and salad dressing: the difference between edible and inedible.

FreshHell said...

Also glad to see you back!

Gah - jello and mayo, two bad things paired together. That swirl of mayo on the top of that monstrosity almost made me hurl. *shiver*

I'm not certain, but I'm guessing one of the differences is sugar. I would bet "salad dressing" has much more than basic mayo. I don't consume either one.

Barbara said...

Glad you're back!! I missed you!!

I don't understand the mayo thing either, but my mother says "it's all we had, but I never used it".

DrJulie-Ann said...

Thanks for mention! I was going through KR withdrawal...I HAD to hunt you down!

Now, I confess, I LOVE mayo so this concoction doesn't freak me out. The researcher in me went looking for the differences between mayo and salad dressing (aka Miracle Whip). The dressing has sugar and more vinegar in it. Mayo doesn't have sugar. So, there you have it.

Amanda said...

I really shouldn't reac this blog while I'm trying to eat lunch.

Tori Lennox said...

Hey, welcome back!!!

Bossy Betty said...

Oh dear. I really can't take my eyes off that salad. No. I really can't.

Kath Lockett said...

Welcome back, Lidian and to 'treat' us to a jello and mayo equivalent of what looks like a stand-alone stripper's breast....!

I'd dash up to the table, grab one of those un-mayo-ed tomato slices and run for my life!

Lidian said...

Thank you everyone - it is SO great to 'see' you too :)

And I missed you and missed KR, too :)

Mimi said...

Ah! You made my day! Thanks for the comment on my blog and for posting this lovely congealed salad mold. You know I am such a fan of KF. Love ya, Lidian!

Mimi said...

Whoops--meant KR!

Pixie Drive-In said...

Jello and mayo....yeesh!