Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Uncrushable Lightness of Ties

George: Look - we danced all evening and yet this tie looks as though its never been worn!

Martha: Why, honey, that's amazing! I guess. I mean, it's not like you were dancing with a bowl of tomato soup, though. Unless you sneaked off while I was in the ladies' room, that is. And...it's not like we did the Tie-Stamping Dance or anything. So why wouldn't it look all right? And also the man in the store twisted it, knotted it and crushed it...all without a wrinkle!

George: That's a little strange, don't you think? Speaking of strange.

Martha: I think the salesman might have be a little bit stressed, now that you mention it. He was really going at that tie, you know.

George: Honey? Honey? Have you noticed that there's something - hovering over our heads?

Martha: Oh my word, that must be the giant butterfly the salesman was talking about! It's name is Wembley. And the saleman said it thinks all the ties in the store belong to it. I guess it followed me home. You'd better just give it the tie, George. Careful when you hand it over - don't twist it. Apparently that makes Wembley upset.

[From Life, September 9, 1940. The stuff in italics comes from the ad copy, by the way.]

4 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

I would like to see a horror movie based on this: "The Revenge of Wembley!!!""

Ann said...

Ha! that was funny, thanks for the laugh!

Kath Lockett said...

Ah yes, the age-old problem of wrinkled ties. Who knew butterflies were so talented?

Anonymous said...

My Uncle was a textile designer for the Aaronson company in Manhattan. Funny I never noticed his wing span or antennae but now that you mention it......