Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Karma Chameleon

Hey Kids Boys' Life Apr 1967Here's a "thanks, but no thanks" ad from Boys' Life, April 1967.

Look how big that chameleon is. No wonder it has life insurance. It probably has its own business and a car, too. And it's going to be out looking for a bigger house pretty soon, too.

You'll need to take it to those open houses on your shoulder. It will even match the color of your clothes.  Good to know you two will be looking fashionable. That will impress the realtors for sure.

Oh and you will also get a Swiss Warbler Whistle with your free live chameleon so that you can imitate "any kind of birds" (so why they call it something as specific as a Swiss Warbler Whistle, nobody knows). And you can get 3 months' worth of live meal worms  - chameleon take-out - for a dollar. This is getting more enticing by the moment (I am kidding, of course).*

A chameleon the size of a raccoon, 3 months' worth of meal worms, and an annoying whistle. Yes, your parents will be delighted with this amazing offer, too.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm thinking the whistle is to lure the chameleon to eat your child. Then they won't buy any more stupid pets like this :)

Epicanis ( http://www.bigroom.org/wordpress ) said...

Looking at it, I'm pretty sure what they're picturing is something like a Carolina Anole...which is about 3-4" long or so. Maybe 6" if it's a big one and you count the tail.

I tried to get a closer look at the photo to see what the text says, but Flickr says I'm not permitted to look at it.

Bill said...

Um, the eye on that thing is worrying me.
I think we may be able to collect on that life insurance policy.

P.L. Frederick said...

(going back into memory) I remember getting packages of mealworms in the mail for my chameleon. I was in the first or second grade and the smell of sawdust — what the worms came packed in — still brings me back today. Ah, youth. (coming back to now) Gawd, they were disgusting. All crawly and powdery and mealwormy.

Yah, freaky ad there. Ugh.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

thedickdujour said...

Exactly the thing my 9 year old would want, glad this is an old ad!

Lidian said...

Amanda - Probably! ;)

Epicanis - Nuts, I forgot to make it public! Sorry. But in this case, it doesn't scan any bigger than this anyway...

Bill - I know, it really puts one off ordering it (aside from all the other off-putting elements).

P.L. - I remember having to feed the class snake something awful, in 4th grade. It put me off this sort of thing forever.

thedickdujour - Yes indeed! And there were tons of similar ads in that same issue, ugh!

Janiss said...

I feel bad for all the chameleons back in the day - getting tossed in the mail, winding up in homes where the families had no idea how to really take care of them. Most of them probably died within a few days, even if they did arrive "live."

I really know how to throw a wet blanket over a party, don't I?

Greg said...

Wow..A live Chameleon, how cool,that is the sort of thing I would have ordered as a kid, must have missed that ad..