Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Swimwear By Fred Mertz

Say hello to Norm and Crazylegs. They want everyone to see how cool they look in their Catalina Sport Sets.  These are basically short-sleeved pajama tops and matching swim trunks with waists that are about up to the top of the solar plexus (they are Fred-Mertz-approved!)

And also, Norm and Crazylegs want you to admire the pebbles (or grey seashells) that they have arranged on the floor. Yes, that sure is swell! Don't drop that football on them though, that would mess the whole thing up. Whatever its significance might be.

Crazylegs Hirsch was a famous football player in the 50s who had what Wikipedia calls "an unusual running style," hence the nickname. And Norm Van Brocklin was also a 50s football celeb, nicknamed "The Dutchman." I don't know why they were so interested in pebbles (or seashells), though.

[From Life, June 7, 1954; big version here.]

13 comments:

Stephanie Barr said...

Yikes!

Barbara said...

"His crazy legs were gyrating in six different directions, all at the same time; he looked like a demented duck."

Now, that's a picture in my mind.

James MacAdam said...

"There's something between your toes!"

Relax Max said...

I knew about Fred Mertz without your link, and even Crazylegs Hirsh, too. And the Dutchman. God, I'm old. Or else I read really weird things. The shirts are bowling shirts though. I think the pebbles simply point the way away from Lucy and Desi.

And what's wrong, may I ask, with men wearing coordinated swimming ensembles? Clearly you've never been to Miami Beach.,,

:)

Christy@WickedHappy said...

You crack me up! Thanks. I needed some cracking today. :)

Tori Lennox said...

I bet they're using the pebbles/seashells to map a football play.

Lidian said...

Stephanie - Yeah, exactly.

Barbara - Sounds like it was fun to watch, possibly.

James - lol!

Max - I've never been south of the Mason Dixon line, I'm afraid - or even near it, really.

Christy - I'm glad! I always hope that this blog can cheer people up (it cheers me up to write it, on bad days) :)

Tori - Hey, you know, I'll bet they are!

Bill said...

I think Tori's right.
I was wondering if they were on a scavenger hunt. Or solving a mystery: The Clue in the Coordinating Swimwear or The Secret of the Solar Plexus.

Raven G. Duran said...

Hi there, Nice Blog Posts, As what I've seen You still have the classic Navbar on your Blog, you can remove it to make your blog look more professional.

You can refer to this post:
http://www.blogger-bookmark.com/2010/05/how-to-remove-blogger-navbar.html

Optionally, You may want to change the old default favicon of blogger blogs, you can refer here:
http://www.blogger-bookmark.com/2010/07/how-to-have-custom-favicon-for-blogger.html

I like sharing some Blog design tricks and tips on other bloggers.

You can visit my blog and I hope you will find it useful
http://www.blogger-bookmark.com

Mimi said...

I love their hair!

History and Women said...

Ah, they're both cute!

Kath Lockett said...

Are you sure that Norm isn't saying to Crazylegs, "I dare you to bend over and pick these up" ?

Marcheline said...

No, no, you've got it all wrong. Norm is saying, "You want me to kneel here? With all these pebbles and shells in the way? And with all these people looking? Well, okay - but only if you get rid of the stupid white football."