Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ankling For Business

Just when you thought you had enough to worry about - there's another bit of your anatomy that needs fixing. Yes, even your ankles are not safe from scrutiny.  And even the perfectly swell looking ankle in the ad - that gets circled and arrowed, too. It is just terrible, you see. 

It must be and will be moulded with Madame Montague's Ankle Culture System. Heaven only knows how she does this. It is probably best not to ask. For Madame is an Ankle Expert, and wise in the ways of all things that are delicate and perfect. Why, even her brochure is "dainty."

I found some 1924 ads from Madame, in which she talks about "the embarrassment of thick, shapeless ankles." Madame, that is not dainty talk at all. And why exactly does your "dainty brochure" needs to be sent "under plain cover"  from Room P.G. (Parental Guidance)? Our ankles may be thick and shapeless but we know something is a little shady when we see the words "under plain cover"!

[This 1925 ad is from LiveJournal Vintage Ads.]

10 comments:

sassafrasjunction said...

This ad should just be called, "Fuck Cankles!"

Bill said...

But what is this mysterious Ankle Culture System? Madame is coy about that.
I had a roommate with no ankles at all. Her calves plummeted straight into the tops of her feet.I doubt even Madame could have done much with that.

Tori Lennox said...

I used to have really cute ankles. Then I broke one of them. *sigh* Not cure anymore. :(

Barbara said...

Oh my god, another thing for me to worry about. I need to find out what this "Ankle Culture System" is...

JD at I Do Things said...

You can tell this system really works, because she spells "Beaute" with an accent mark.

Eric said...

Well, as long as there is no related cosmetic surgery...

In my opinion, women having natural ankles without implants are the best way to go.

Lisa - Alterity Button Jewelry said...

How funny! Cankles back in the day, too :)

Mimi said...

Damn. If only they also made an Elbow Culture System. I have always hated my ungainly elbows.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello, Miss Lidian! Missed ya! xoxo

Trisha Carter, Gone Green said...

Wow! Even ankles have their own beauty experts.

Marcheline said...

Well, as the ankles are supposed to be covered by floor length skirts, I really don't see what the issue is. But it does explain the plain wrapper for the brochure, no? As no one has SEEN the cankles, Madame Montague does not want to be the first to notify the neighbors!