Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Riddle Wrapped In A Jell-O Mold

Jell-O Riddle Life April 9 1956I just couldn't resist this 1953 Jell-O ad, for here we have Mr. Weatherbee from Archie dressed up like Old King Cole. Everyday is Halloween at Riverdale High! I guess that is Jughead's previously-unknown younger cousin coming to the principal's office to drop off a big Jell-O mold. If he drops it off all over the floor - and this does seem likely - there will be trouble.

Whatever the back story is, we need another 4th line for the beauteous poem in the ad. "Jell-O of course," indeed! I can think of some other things, too:

Riddle me, riddle me, riddle me ree
What dessert tastes as good as can be?
What's economical? Quick to prepare?

- I have no idea, now get out of my hair.

- Stale cookies? Old cupcakes? I really don't care.

- How 'bout some grapes or maybe a pear.

- I think we still have that old frozen eclair.

- I'm sure there's some pudding in the green Tupperware.

- Veronica tried to make brownies: beware!

5 comments:

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I found a VFW Ladies Auxiliary cookbook from 1964 at a thrift shop in my town. One of the first 'Molded Salad' recipes calls for CELERY flavored Jello.

I don't even think I want to know what the other retired flavors from that era might be.

ceemee said...

I like your lines better!

This made me miss Archie comics.

Bill said...

Well, since this is a vintage ad, how about:
With dessert made with Jell-O,
no man will you snare.

Relax Max said...

I will resist the urge to add my line. I'm sure you will be happy I did. How are you?

Marcheline said...

But seriously - they couldn't come up with a better word than "ree"? What the hell is "ree", anyway?