Friday, September 3, 2010

These Official Shoes

Boy Scout Shoes Boys' Life Feb 1960I was a Girl Scout back in the 1970s, and I can tell you that we did not have our very own official shoes. Although looking at this ad from Boys' Life (Feb 1960), I am glad we didn't. I mean, look at them. They are old-guy business shoes.

Don't tell me you're really going to be able to go out in the wilderness and rescue people and run around in the mud and mulch and whatever, in those shoes. The soles are as shiny and smooth as an ice-skating rink.

Also, no one who's hauling someone to safety ever says things like:

"Glad I wore these official shoes!"

But I'm glad they say it here. Because that's my new Favorite Thing To Say. So versatile! You can use this line anywhere, really. And with any shoes. I plan to say it next time I'm doing something like scooping out the cats' litter box while wearing my horrible old black Crocs. And that's just the beginning...

[Want to read the whole story? The bigger version is over here. And yes, I actually managed to remember to make the photo public this time...]

12 comments:

SAM said...

I always enjoyed reading your post. :-) thanks for the post

Barbara said...

I'll bet there were a lot of grumbly campers with those shoes!!

Shieldmaiden96 said...

We may not have had official shoes, but we DID have official socks, remember those? I swear I joined Girl Scouts for the uniform. I had the whole deal; the pinafore, the beret....I wanted to wear the sash all the time. If they'd offered more uniform pieces for informing on my neighbors I would have done it. In hindsight it was a good thing I was a scout in 1978-1981. And in this country.

Lidian said...

SAM - Why, thank you :)

Barbara - Yeah, I sure would be.

Shieldmaiden96 - Yeah, the socks! I had forgotten those (hey, maybe I will find an ad for them). I remember really wanting a sashful of badges. This did not happen because I was a Big Quitter - and that was back in the early 70s. There was a Girl Scout Store on 5th Avenue (!!) in NYC, I remember that, I remember being SO excited to go there and get a Girl Scout doll (I do not know where she went, I think she quit too)

Tori Lennox said...

If the Boy Scouts had old-guy business shoes, the Girl Scouts would probably have cute little peep-toe pumps with Cuban heels.

Eric said...

Only in the foggy naivate of youth would I have ever considered joining an organization whose name is a heterograph of 'we blow'.
Better pace ourselves on the self esteem there, huh?

sophie... said...

Spit polish and laced tightly...aaah such comfort...not to mention the callouses!

P.L. Frederick said...

Tee hee! Great writing and commentary. Glad I wore these official shoes!

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

♥The Sweet Life♥ said...

Hi! Very interesting article!! I am following your blog & added your blog to my blogroll list.

James MacAdam said...

Just the picture of that shoe makes my feet hurt. I was in a Christian version of Boy Scouts and we were allowed to wear sneakers, for weekly meetings and weekend excursions. I wasn't aware at the time just how blessed we were, but I sure am grateful now.

Lidian said...

Tori - Yes. So maybe it's just as well.

Eric - That's always a good idea ;)

sophie - Oh, yes, there will be callouses.

P.L. - Yes, me too (right now they are really awful slippers, but still count!)

The Sweet Life - Thanks :)

James - That WAS nice...I am not sure what we wore, but not sneakers. I think I was in my Hush Puppies period around then.

Bill said...

I'll bet the people they rescued weakly whispered "I'm glad you wore those official shoes" right before they slipped into a coma.

I think I'm going to say that to everyone that visits my office today.