Monday, October 4, 2010

The Head Behind the Fridge

Admiral Fridge and Head 1951 Vintage Ad Browser.
 Hello, is that the Philco Help Line?

Yes ma'am, what can I do for you this morning?"

Um...I know this is going to sound crazy but - well. There's a head behind my new Philco fridge.

It IS an "entirely new kind of refrigerator," you know, ma'am.

But the head -

Can you describe this head, ma'am, at all?

It - it looks a little like Joan Crawford and - a little like my old neighbour, Sally. Ugh - she keeps baring her teeth at me! I really need you to send a repairman out here.  Or some really big cupcakes. I think she's hungry...

[1951 ad is from Vintage Ad Browser.]

11 comments:

Marcheline said...

Hello, ma'am? Yes, I've just checked with the manager and the large head is there to make sure that every sentence you use has an exclamation point at the end. See our magazine ad for reference... thank you for calling Philco customer service.

Lidian said...

Marcheline - Oh, of course! It is a PR head! (I am using exclamation marks even though I don't have a large head behind my fridge - I think...) ;)

Bill said...

Well, that's just crazy. You've got to keep the head in the freezer, or at least the refrigerated compartment, if you hope to keep it from spoiling.

Barbara said...

So, when you pay off the fridge, do you get the rest of the head?

Mimi said...

Creepy. Oh by the way--I love, love, love your Halloween Header. No pun intended. Well, maybe a little.

vanilla said...

Someone has the big head, f'sure.

Eric said...

Dear Lidian,
Perhaps the refrigerator firm is right and we should let cooler heads reap sales?

♥The Sweet Life♥ said...

Hi! I love your blog! I am following. I invite you to follow me!

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Does the giant head retrieve lost items from behind the fridge? Give baking tips? Sing show tunes? Kill bugs?

If she's gonna live with me, she's got to make herself useful.

Noypi said...

Oh! It's creepy to see a head in my fridge.. :D

Georgina Dollface said...

Usually I am able to understand what the advertisers are trying to do with these ads, even when the images are way out there. But this one just has me scratching my head. I don't get the meaning behind half a floating head. This ad is just weird. LOL! - G