Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Stunning Improvement

Sue: Come in, Jeannie, come right in! Let me take your - no, wait. Before I take your hat and coat - no, don't sit down! I must show you my bathroom.

Jeannie: Actually I only came over to ask if I could possibly borrow a cup of sugar. I really need to get going to pick up little Jimmy at school and -

Sue: It's right down the hall. Come on! You simply must see what I've done in here.

Jeannie: Err...oh, I really had rather not...

Sue: Don't be silly, I've redecorated! Look! Green. Everything is green. I've even got a green dress on to celebrate, see?

Jeannie: Well, yes. It is green all right.

Sue: Tell me that isn't a stunning improvement!

Jeannie: Oh, err...yes. It is! What a stunning improvement. Now I really must be -

Sue: See the rug, and the green wallpaper and the little green jars. And the toilet seat cover, look at that! It's called a Pearl Seat, apparently.

Jeannie: Goodness me. Yes. Never mind about the sugar. I'll - I'll see you later.

Sue: I can't stop peeking in. Oh - bye dear. If you run into anyone we know - just send them right over, all right?

[This 1947 ad is from the cornucopia of ephemeral wonder that is  LiveJournal Vintage Ads.]

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Okay, I must tell this story.

When I was a kid, we had a plastic orange toilet seat. It went with the bathroom (and looked better than it sounds). We had a party once, and a kid about six years old used the bathroom. When he came out he said "Hey, who painted your toilet seat?"

We thought it was funny at the time.

Tori Lennox said...

"Church seats"??? We never had seats like that at my church!

Kath Lockett said...

....and they're CHURCH seats, made in HOLYoke.

Spooky. Seems wrong to plant your bare arse (or 'ass' for you Americans) on them!

spinninglovelydays said...

Church seats, lol. THAT had to be the name of the company... :D
Spinning Lovely Days

Bill said...

Sue learns the hard way that one simple change leads to an orgy of overspending.

Art of RetroCollage said...

I'll be sure to keep them in mind next time I want a stunning bathroom.