Wednesday, October 13, 2010

White Furniture and Fog Horns

FreeDigitalPhotos
When I was a kid, we spent summers on Martha's Vineyard, before Chappaquidick, before loads of wealthy people bought houses there. It was really nice but not super fancy and the cottages we rented were just like that too - my favorite place had square low armchairs upholstered in nubbly aqua cloth, and a tea pot that looked like it had been made out of a Savoy cabbage. The black and white TV had rabbit ears which could only pick up two channels - both of which were fuzzy (to go with the rabbit ears). But it was one of the most relaxing places I've ever been.

In the upstairs bedrooms, under the eaves, there were bureaus with white drawers and the downstairs guest bedroom had a white dressing table. I've liked the look of New England cottage furniture for a long time - the retro kind, the kind I remember from the 1960s, simple and beautiful, made to be used, with lines as clean as beach sand.

Everything smelled like sea salt and lavender sachet. I used to lie awake at night listening for the soft sound of the fog horn, like a tuba being played under water. It was calling out to let me know I was very close to the ocean. I lived in the city most of the time but it's the memory of those long-ago cottages and their retro comfortable look that has stayed with me. I still dream about living on an island in a plain cottage with some retro aqua armchairs, someday. But I'll skip the rabbit eared TV, thanks.

9 comments:

vanilla said...

Very nice nostalgia piece!

Bill said...

What pleasant memories. Thanks for sharing them. I needed a calm spot in the midst of some workplace chaos, and I found it here.
I've only been to MV once, for an overnight at a quaint old B&B in Edgartown. I was looking on-line recently at cottage rates there nowadays, and they are certainly out of my reach unless I supplement my income with a paper route before office hours. Sheesh!

Eric said...

Nice! Hey, aren't the Abacos islands kind of like that now?

Lidian said...

vanilla - Thank you!

Bill - Thanks, I would like to write more about the Vineyard. I haven't been there in a long time, but my family first went up there in 1925, and I have some nice old brochures about MVI (one is from the 1930s!)

Eric - I don't know, they might be ;)

Vickie Heully said...

I closed my eyes for a moment to imagine the peaceful place you described. Ahh... Wish I can go someplace like that. Sounds blissful. Thanks for sharing a virtual vacation moment with us.

Tori Lennox said...

That sounds heavenly!

Auntie E said...

I really love the photo. Make we want to go there and just chill out.

Marcheline said...

I'll even take the rabbit-eared TV... because it's guaranteed not to work, thus freeing you from any misplaced guilt regarding reading, playing board games, or making whoopee instead of being glued to the tube!

Jim said...

That is a great nostalgia piece !!