Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My So-Called Pumpkin Pie

Dinah and the Pumpkin Life Nov 20 1944 "Maybe you didn't know it," smiles Dinah, "but most so-called pumpkin pies are made with squash!"

Well, it is good to know how to substitute things, in cooking. I always substitute applesauce for oil or butter in baking - it makes everything much healthier, plus you don't have to work the butter into the sugar, which takes a long time. I'll do it for holiday baking, or something, but not for any old blueberry muffin that comes waltzing down the counter.

This 1944 ad is all about substitutes. First of all, that does not even look like Dinah Shore (just ask the cartoon cat, he looks like he knows something). And second, she is saying that most pumpkin pies are made of squash! Now, I realize that this is taking place during World War II, but was there really a pumpkin shortage? Were they rationed? Sugar was, and coffee, and processed foods - here's a list.

So maybe canned pumpkin was rationed. But still. People could make pumpkin pie out of those little sugar pumpkins. I made crustless pumpkin pie out of a couple of those a month ago. Of course, then we got a big pumpkin for Halloween and I said: oh sure, I'll use this one too! We didn't carve it or anything, because we were kind of lazy this year. It has been out on the back porch wearing a bike helmet for the last week and I think I'm going to have to give up on it now, it is going off. Speaking of lazy. So maybe I will go buy some of Dinah's frozen squash! Hey, why not. I'll just call it pumpkin. And no one will ever know, unless they read this blog...

3 comments:

vanilla said...

It was, indeed, about 1944 when I first caught Mom serving the pumpkin pie made with squash. My ten-year old eyes could spot the difference without involving the taste buds in any way.

Art of RetroCollage said...

Actually, homemade butternut squash pie is really quite yummy! Especially with mini-marshmellows baked on top!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Dinah did look like that in 1944---and she was already metamorphing from having black hair to brown and eventually the blonde we all recall on television. Daniel Nauman