Monday, November 1, 2010

No Fruit - No Pony Ride!

Dorothea and Egbert GH 1935 TJS
From TJS Labs Graphic Design (Good Housekeeping 1935)

I now have another catchphrase to alternate with my previous favorite, "Glad I wore these official shoes!" And it is all thanks to dear Dorothea and her Little Lord Fauntleroy of a son, Egbert, who dislikes his breakfast.

I also love Egbert's opening line,  "Tell me, mother...what time do I canter?" Just the sort of thing you'd say to mom at breakfast.

But Dorothea's snappy comeback is my new favorite saying: "No fruit - no pony ride!" You tell him, sister.

How did Egbert even get to be English? Dorothea doesn't come across as English at all. She is getting way too excited about that juice, for one thing.

Also she'd have a little more Mary Poppins in her - "no fruit, no pony ride" would not mean "Honey please please drink this lovely juice and then you can have a lovely ride on Mr. Trotty." It would mean no fruit no pony ride, buster!

Maybe Dorothea started out all starchy and British and then the Libby's got to her. That could happen, right? Libby's Pineapple Juice seems to please the little prig, though. And his mother looks so relieved. Just you wait, though, Dorothea. Wait until he gets a load of what's on the luncheon menu. Or until Mr. Trotty decides to canter off and join the circus. Libby's can't fix everything, you know.

6 comments:

FreshHell said...

That *is* an excellent line. I'll have to remember that.

Barbara said...

Maybe she should remind her little boy that no fruit equals constipation equals CASTER OIL, and then give him a choice. Fruit or laxative, Buddy.

Lidian said...

FreshHell - I am just waiting for a chance to say it to my kids! Only trouble being that there's no pony out in the backyard or anything ;)

Barbara - That would be WAY better!

Reenie said...

Haha... I'll have to remember that line. While growing up, my mother used to take a tone like Dorothea here (you can hear it too, right?)... brings back memories :)

Marcheline said...

Methinks Little Lord Fauntleroy needs his ears slapped back.

Bill said...

I'm trying to unravel the byzantine plot and the cast of characters. Here's what I think is going on:
Dorothea is not the Mother; she's our go-to gal, the problem solver.
Mother (Angie) confuses our visual story by too-frequent costume changes. She starts with a green dress and ends in blue. In the midst of seeking advice from Dorothea, she inexplicably changes into a brown dress with buttons down the back - not a quick change for a novice. She's clearly a clothes horse.
Egbert, as a result of his mother's self-absorption, has become an elitist as a coping mechanism.