Monday, December 13, 2010

A Clever Retro Christmas Salad

Christmas Tree Salad Life Dec 20 1943
Life, December 20, 1943
What is more festive than a strange gelatin mold salad? Well - lots of things, really. We haven't even begun to explore the wonderful world of retro fruitcake, for example. But let's start out slowly, with a Carnation-milky, gelacious Christmas Tree Salad from 1943.

They are made of Lime Jell-O mixed with milk and lemon juice (won't it curdle?) molded in cone-shaped paper cups. And they are decorated with "mayonnaise, apple, pepper, cheese." Why stop there? Why not olives, cherries, candied fruit and carrots cut into star shapes? And multicolored sprinkles! And pickle chips! 

I think they probably do suggest that sort of thing in the booklet "Clever Ways With Carnation For the Duration," which you could order for free back in 1943. I would totally send away for this, because how can you resist the rhyming title plus the "treasured recipes of famous food editors"? I think this was one of those treasured recipes. I'm quite sure of it.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

ACK! Lime jello and milk??

vanilla said...

Why not olives,cherries, candied fruit and carrots...

Oh, must rush to kitchen and use this recipe you've enhanced!

Kath Lockett said...

Oh sweet lord it looks like something a drunk snowman chucked up!

Lidian said...

Barbara - I know. It's almost as if they were daring people to try and make it!

vanilla - Oh yes, me too. It's what's for dinner! (I'm kidding, of course)

Kath - That is the perfect image, yes. If I'm entertaining any drunk snowmen this year I'll keep a few paper cone cups on hand...

Bill said...

How many extra hours did they have in a day back then? I'm thinking of the painstaking work it would take to create something that could only turn out tasting awful.

Marcheline said...

Um.... I think there's only one word for this.

GACK!