Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fun With An Eggnog Pie

Fun With Pie Life Dec 2 1957This is a pretty straightforward recipe for Eggnog Pie, with some canned fruit thrown in. I'm sure you've seen this kind of thing before.

The part that intrigues me is this: that we're supposed to "have fun with" the pie. Don't wait until Christmas, either. The pie wants to go out and have a good time right now! Go get your hat and coat.

What does that mean, have fun with the pie? Does it tell stories and play games? Does it know any good jokes?

I don't think you tend to want to go out and party with other desserts, whether they are pies or not. You know that a fruitcake would just sit in the corner, whining about why doesn't anyone like it. The gingerbread men would run away as soon as you locked the front door and started to rummage for the car keys. But you can count on those eggnog pies. They probably even watch "The Perry Como Show" just like the American Dairy Association urges us to do at the bottom of the ad. And I'm sure they memorize all the songs, too.

There's probably some rum or brandy in that eggnog, come to think of it. That would explain a lot.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Surpisingly, this recipe doesn't sound too awful. The jury's still out on the inclusion of fruit cocktail, however.
I think this pie would enjoy the Perry Como show, but it would probably screw up the lyrics when it belts out the songs. Better stick with Mitch Miller & the Gang for guidance.

P.L. Frederick said...

I like how the ad deems the Fruit Cocktail of greater importance than the Eggnog, by listing it first. Today it'd be Pie Nog Cocktail.

I would hang out with the fruitcakes, being one of three living human beings who greatly enjoy the stuff. Fruitcake provided my first taste of rum and brandy. Ah, childhood, rum-soaked childhood.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

vanilla said...

Could one have fun with the pie by smunching it into someone's face?

Lidian said...

Bill - I think it would be fun to hear what kind of lyrics this pie would come up with.

P.L. - Actually, I kind of like fruitcake too. I even used to make it, but I was too lazy this year ;)

vanilla - Oh absolutely you could, but then the pie couldn't sing or tell any more jokes...

Cari Hislop said...

I've never had fun with an eggnog pie before, I had no idea there was such a thing, but the thought of pouring fruit cocktail into eggnog...that sounds really yucky! I won't be trying that one. I'll let the eggnog pie come to your house to have fun!

Bill said...

You know, I hadn't considered that, Lidian. I imagine it would be a Walt Kellyesque experience - Deck us all with Boston Charlie.