Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Work-Savingest Retro Kitchen

Work-Savingest Kitchen (New Freedom Gas Kitchen) Life Mar 4 1946
I am crazy about retro kitchens - any kind, from Victorian kitchens right through the ones in the 1970s with all those Harvest Gold appliances. One of the first houses we looked at when we were buying our first house, a long time ago, had a wonderful huge old-fashioned kitchen with a 1950s refrigerator, the kind with a huge curved handle that you sort of had to wrench open. The rest of the house was nothing exciting, but I really wanted that kitchen! I'm perfectly happy with what we have now - white and blue with wooden counters, traditional looking but, you know, newish. But along with that butler's pantry that is in my future (maybe), I can window-shop in the past for a retro kitchen, right?

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to peek into some retro kitchens. This one dates from 1946 and was advertised by the American Gas Association as one of its "New Freedom Gas Kitchens." New was a big word just after the war - like the New Look in fashion, which was popular around the same time (closer to 1948 though, I think - please correct me, vintage fashion experts, if this is not quite right!).

So, what do you think of this? I like the green and white, though the green is a bit strong and bright - it works, though. I like the ring pulls on the cabinets - I've never seen that in a kitchen before. And the bamboo shade that you can lower to divide the kitchen from the breakfast nook - very cool. Plus, I really, really want that radio and the mixer on the counter. Also the green canisters behind the mixer.

Not sure about that printed carpeting though.

What do you think?

11 comments:

Barbara said...

I love everything except the carpet and those circular handles. Otherwise, I'd be quite happy here.

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Wow to me those rings scream bathroom but maybe they were 'new' at the time.

A few of my friends moms had printed carpeting like that so I sort of have a soft spot - fond memories I think. So I like it :)

FreshHell said...

Why is there a ramp going from the kitchen down into the eating area? I do like that that eating area though. Banquet seating is where it's at!

veg-o-matic said...

I'm really liking those big ring pulls, but I'm guessing they're ornamental rather than functional.
Oh, and that's not carpeting, it's linoleum. People didn't lose their minds and install wall-to-wall carpeting in their kitchens until the '70s.

Tori Lennox said...

Retro kitchens are fun!

Cari Hislop said...

I hope that is carpet not linoleum. Imagine carrying the dinner...or food piled dinner plates to the table down that steep ramp! Head over heels...there goes dinner. And then everyone would have to pile into the old Chevy or Ford and rock and roll over to the local A&W for a drive in dinner. Maybe the kitchen was designed by some fast food entrepreneur! I love the white brick and green though...those canisters bring back memories.

Lidian said...

Barbara - Yes, the carpet will have to go.

Tracy - That's it! I've seen those rings in washrooms, as we say up north ;)

FreshHell - I was wondering about the ramp too, maybe it's a split level? But then it would have steps. It's a mystery!

veg-o-matic - Yeah, it could be linoleum, that makes sense. I have seen carpet-your-kitchen ads from the 1920s though, so - I think it is carpet. Probably.

Tori - Oh, they are!

Cari - It would be hard going down that ramp with heavy dishes, you're right. They may not have been thinking of this, since they were so excited about the gas stove and all.

vanilla said...

A few years ago, spouse and I were house-hunting. Looked at an older home with just this kitchen, except for green, see yellow! I liked it; spouse said, Oh, if we bought this place we'd have to redo the entire kitchen. We didn't buy it.

Bill said...

I'd really like a home with a dining nook. I'd prefer one that's more like a booth, but this one's pretty spiffy, too.

Marcheline said...

I am so jealous of the NOOK! Would love to cram one into my tiny cottage retro kitchen... sigh.

Those heeee-YUGE cabinet handles are a complete riot.

Loran said...

I have to say I love that kitchen - and I have one from the early thirties that has a little 'ramp' like that. I also have that EXACT mixer,it was my great-grandmothers and my dad restored it for me! I think my girlfriend has that radio too...